Hamachi as a VPN: using Synapse securely from home or elsewhere - 256 bit encryption

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Jason, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Synapse works *VERY* well over a secure VPN. In the ever changing IT world, there now exists a Zero Administration VPN called Hamachi.

This VPN (Virtual Private Network) allows you to securely access your records from home or wherever outside your office.

Hamachi works well with Synapse, and it's on our list of suggested software.

Contact me if you want to setup Hamachi. It's crazy easy, but I have a few tips. :)
  2. DrO

DrO New Member

I have been considering setting up a secure VPN from my office. I downloaded Hamachi from http://www.hamachi.cc/. I have not set it up because of HIPPA concerns. I have a static address at work and want to set up a client at home. I would appreciate your tips.

DrO
  3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Hamachi allows you to setup a VPN. This satisfies HIPAA by providing strong encryption on top of Synapse's existing encryption.
  4. Jason

I use Synapse and Hamachi. I have Hamachi on every computer, including the office, although that isn't needed.

Hamachi is a very easy program to use. It more than surpasses HIPAA.

Synapse is blazing fast from my Family Room over a Wireless G connection to my tablet. Just as fast as if I was in the office.

Although not documented well, the first computer you setup Hamachi is a key computer, it is the computer that can delete accounts from .... so .... setup Hamachi from the server at the office. I usually suggest "trying" software on other computers first, but this is an exception.

5. qilin

qilin Member

I bought two VPN routers, thought I could connect two offices, without realizing the price for two static IPs. I guess that leaveshamachi the only best solution for me.
  6. Jason

Hamachi is great. The uptime hasn't been as solid as it used to be 6 months ago. Stillquite good. Synapse over Hamachi works very well.
  7. DrO

DrO New Member

I can attest to the "power" of Hamachi ( a VPN) and LogMeIn (remote desktop). I upgraded Hamachi to their new release on my "server" using LogMeIn.

Today I got a call from one of my patients that ran out of glucometer test strips. From my hotel room I logged into my "server" using LogMeIn. I ran a fax form in MSWord, entered the order, converted this to a pdf file, affixed a stamp bearing my signature and printed it to the "fax printer", entered the pharmacy fax number and sent the fax. I saved a copy of the "signed" pdf file into the patient's directory.

My patient is happy because his doctor while on vacation helped him. He will repay me by bringing me Cuban coffee (expresso) when I am back in the office! He will also, spread the word on the "availability" of his doctor. Good for the business!! The whole procedure took me ~3 minutes.

Consider the fact that I am ~2500 miles away from my office!

DrO

8. Graham

Looks like Jason moved my post .. but the latest beta allows you to send a prescription (or any other PS document) by fax providing that SnappyFax is installed on your server. No need now for logmein... only need to use Synapse EMR client.

9. Jason

10. Jason

Free ride is over ?

Attached Files:

11. Jason

Hamachi Licensing

Commercial vs. Non-Commercial

LogMeIn Hamachi licensing is based on your status as a commercial or a
    non-commercial user. Prior to subscribing to Hamachi, you will be asked
    to verify whether you are using it for commercial or non-commercial
    purposes.*

If you are using Hamachi for your own, non-commercial use, it's 100% free.

What is Non-Commercial Use?

Non-commercial users are defined as individuals using the product for
    personal use, such as a gaming or family network, and non-profit
    institutions (as defined by the IRS as a 501c corporation or similarly
    situated international non-profits).

Non-commercial users may use Hamachi free of charge and without the need to pay any subscription fee.

What is Commercial Use?

Commercial users are defined as for-profit businesses, government
    institutions (federal, state, local), educational institutions
    (including universities and state or local school systems), and any
    individuals using Hamachi on behalf of such entities or institutions.

Commercial users are required to pay LogMeIn a monthly or annual subscription fee to legally use Hamachi.

* All final determinations shall be made by LogMeIn in its sole
    discretion. LogMeIn reserves the right, in accordance with its terms
    and conditions of use, to discontinue a user's subscription to Hamachi.
    LogMeIn's terms and conditions of use shall apply to any user's use of
    Hamachi.

Attached Files:

12. Graham

Such is life ...
  13. Jason

Yea. Hamachi is so good I think I'll go for it.

I put it on every PC, so I'll have to change that policy. I guess just the server and my home PC.
  14. Graham

Jerry has been doing some research into other software VPNs.

Hopefully he will post the results sometime.

15. DrO

DrO New Member

A quote from Hamachi's site:
    <h2>"Overview</h2>

Use LogMeIn Hamachi for free &ndash;
    provide your small business a remote access solution that is secure,
    easy, and enhances business performance.

Hamachi
    is currently available for Windows 2000, XP, 2003, and Vista. Console
    versions of Hamachi are also available for Linux and OS X.

Hamachi installers support incremental upgrades. If you have a version
    of Hamachi already installed on your computer, just run the installer
    and it will update the program files and retain your Hamachi setup.

Use LogMeIn Hamachi for free &ndash; provide your small business a remote
    access solution that is secure, easy, and enhances business
    performance. For more information click here."

The first statement, that I emphasized B-i, allows us to use it in a small practice setting for free.

DrO
  16. Graham

Logmein is a remote access solution so not the same as a VPN.

17. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

TeamViewer is really cool in my opinion, and has free remote desktop, file transfer, and VPN features for Windows only, but has the same non-commercial thing as hamachi. I've use it and it's solid and a cinch to set up. OpenVPN is complex, but with good instructions for Windows...not at all easy on Linux for me so far. Very capable, however.

NoMachine has several "free forever" clients and uses distributed networking plus "NX" compression technology. Claims to be a really fast "virtual" remote desktop environment for private networks and Internet (http://www.nomachine.com/products.php)....have any of you tried it? With broadband it might be fast enough to make a VPN uneccessary??
  18. Graham

19. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I downloaded the SSL Explorer package. It's java source with an installer to compile it on the user's platform, so is truly cross platform. It's a browser based VPN. Looks very promising. I'm going to try it and keep you posted.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2013
  20. Graham

It wasn't clear to me if other applications than the browser also had access to the SSL tunnel created.