Free Text picklisting: - a new method for quick documentation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Anew flexible, rapidfree text data entry method is emerging in synapse. I call it"Free Text Picklisting".

Some details about this method are listed in this post/thread

Essentially, the method is simple.

(1) You create a macro in Synpase (or use an external macro program) to pump out text that forms the basis of part of your note.

I've added this simple one for a child presenting with pharyngitis. I made a ROS macro called pharyngitis .. with the following text:

(2) Once the neededtext is in the consult window .. you press <u>"Control + S"</u> (s = spellcheck) and then a succession of popup options come up for you to easily click your way through the options. (note: this works in other places in Synapse, ie. the Social History Section, or the Message section).

This method of documentation works best for smaller documentation needs or if you just want a quick documentation method. The more "robust" method of documentation (ie. a template) is usually the best long term solution.

A popup looks like this:

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Wishlist:

(1) no need to hit [Replace] button

Why ? 95% of the time my first click will be the one I want. If I've misclicked, I don't mind manually going back and fixing it.

I'd settle for hitting the [enter] key to function as the [Replace] button. That way I could minimize the mouse use (which is always the slowest method).

left click, enter, left click, enter, left click, enter, left click, enter, = fast !

Synapse user note: dual screen seems to work well for the Free Text Picklist Dialog window (pictured above). I can get that window to popup on my second monitor so I can easily read the text I am "editing".

Long Live Dual Monitors.

[:)]

3. Jason

Ahh .. I see Graham has mentioned this already.

http://synapsedirect.com/forums/thread/1383.aspx

4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Try beta-3 ...