Faxing in Synapse - which product to integrate ?

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I am printing the last consult with the Print Button.

When I leave one of the two Text Boxes (name, fax#) blank ... it complains. But when they are both filled out, I hit [FaxServer] and nothing happens.

It should be saving a .tiff file there ?

Q: should there be any logs in the synapse server logs ? I see nothing regarding the hitting of [FaxServer].

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Just try printing prescriptions first ...

I've uploaded server beta-2 which prints "send-ps-fax cmd received" if it receives a fax from the client.

Back in a few hours ... going out.
  3. Jason

I tried the Faxing from the Prescriptions and it did work. I don't think it worked with my fancy .eps footer though.

4. Jason

Snappy Fax wouldn't fax ....

I got this.

Attached Files:

5. Jason

However,

I needed the S because I use Snappy Fax Server !

And it worked like a charm

:)
  6. Jason

Might want to update snappyfax.r to

;; comment the following line if are using a fax facesheet with a ";"
    fax-facesheet: none

;; SnappyFax Options - R = regular, S = submit to server, E = send via email

routing: "S"
  7. Jason

Snappy Fax picks up all the processing of the files. [+o(]

I say that when the snappyfax.r has completed it's processing .. the completed file (*.tif) should be placed in a subdir of faxqueue called \submit\

Attached Files:

8. Graham

You can change the script snappyfax.r to place the tif in any directory you like.

I use "R" because I am not using the Snappyfax network server app, just the client app which is only $19.99.

9. Graham

Yeah .. thinking about it again, you will need to place the eps file on the server so that it is accessible to gs.exe ... look at the generated postscript and make sure the eps actually matches the path in the postscript file.
  10. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]
    Yeah .. thinking about it again, you will need to place the eps file on the server so that it is accessible to gs.exe ... look at the generated postscript and make sure the eps actually matches the path in the postscript file.

[/quote]

To make Faxing Rxes useful, i'll have to add an image of my signature to the Fax.

Placing a signature "over top" of the signature line would be difficult.

I think I'll try to get rid of the entire bottom of the RX (as seen in the picture) and replace it with an eps image

Attached Files:

11. Graham

Faxing only works with prescriptions so far. There is too much text in a consult ( due to added postscript libraries ) and this will hang the client.

Need to see if I can fix this.
  12. Jason

Can you explain this more ?
  13. Graham

a prescription is setup as just a single page. it's straight forward postscript.

a letter or other document can flow across multiple pages, needs footers, font markup and text justification. I add a special library to do this and this library adds the extra bulk.
  14. Graham

I think I'll have a closer look at hylafax. It runs under Linux, and so could be run on a dedicated low end Linux box, or as vmware appliance under windows. The incoming fax directory can be set up as a samba share, and a script could automatically import the faxes into Synapse for one of the reception staff to look at, and then redirect to clinical staff. Outgoing faxes would be scripted.

15. Jason

Certainly an excellent product. Not sure how easy it would be to get up and running for a small doctor office.

I think HylaFax's main feature is it is ultra-scalable.
  16. Jason

17. Graham

Looking better. I see that they now have a system tray mode too.

18. qilin

qilin Member

Quick question forwho isfamiliar with Snappy Fax. I played with Snappy Fax today. Set it up to save files as PDF to be converted to searchable PDF later by Paperport. It pop up the save file window everytime it receives a fax,where in the settingscan Idisable this? I have already set it to save external files and it's already doing it.
  19. Jason

which version did you install 3 or 4 ?

you should be able to set an autosave directory.
  20. Jason

v4 is supposed to have internal OCR.