Faxing in Synapse - which product to integrate ?

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I want to improve upon this.

Here's the scenario:

Login using Synapse
    Bring up patient and write prescription
    Use a "Fax" button instead of a print button
    This uses a Fax template that includes your signature ( in eps format and must be on the client PC)
    The postscript prescription gets sent to the server which then stores it in an outgoing directory .. the file is named using a convention that includes the fax number ( which is taken from that patients' pharmacy settings ). The script is saved as per normal as well into the patient file.
    Another service scans this outgoing directory, and using ghostscript, converts the file to pdf ( bearing your signature )
    Snappyfax ( something Jason recommends ) is now able to take the pdf file ( it can't cope with PostScript ), and faxes it using the internal fax card
    And you're done.

If you need to also send the "original" to the pharmacist .. another additional step is that the other service prints the prescription to a local printer with a cover address suitable for window envelope. In the AM, you pick up the scripts, sign them, and post out the originals to the pharmacist.

Cost of Snappyfax ? Jason will let us know ...

2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Snappy Fax is a solid product.

Integration into Synapse will be easy as it has a "neat feature".

Synapse will monitor directories and if a file is named properly, it will fax it according to the name.

ie. 413-333-4445 rx-template.pdf - would fax the .pdf document (whatever it is) to the fax number in the file name with optional cover letter: rx-template.

With integration into many Fax products being affordable, we should probably consider a Fax SDK and get a more robust solution. Although Snappy Fax with the above method would be great.

I still believe, you (the doctor) don't want to fax - you want to print/sign the paper and give it to your secretary. That is the fastest way.

3. Graham

See latest beta information on how to integrate snappy fax with latest client and server.

I guess I'll have to write a little server process to convert the postscript files to pdf ...
  4. Graham

I've uploaded a Rebol script that you can use to convert the PostScript files to PDF using ghostscript.

Just change the variables to suit yourself.

Instructions included ... http://www.compkarori.com/emr/beta/snappyfax.r

5. Jason

Cool !! I'll be testing that in the office tomorrow.
  6. Graham

7. Graham

Installed snappyfax under window 2003 finally

set up a watch directory

ran the snappyfax.r Rebol script .. and it's all sweet. I had to make a small change for the script to work under windows 2003.

8. Jason

Snappy Fax Client ?

Or .. Snappy Fax Server with a Client ?

You must have setup Snappy Fax Client. Depending how Synapse performs faxing, it could be possible to just install the Client and have all the computers write .pdf files to the watched directory.
  9. Graham

I just downloaded the client software ... not the server. sf3setup.exe
  10. Graham

BTW, you should be able to fax any document ( letters, requests etc ) that are previewed in the postscript preview screen.

By default it shows the pharmacy fax number only. ( providing that you have this set up ).

11. Graham

Unfortunately SnappyFax's fax driver is not so good with pdfs. Even though the pdf looks like this

Joe Bloggs
    123 Main Street
    Somewhereville

it faxes like this

Joe Bloggs
    123 Main Street
    Somewhereville

Need to contact Snappyfax and see if they can fix this!

12. Graham

Snappyfax recommended that I print from Acrobat .. not an option!

I changed my snappyfax.r script to convert the ps files to .tif instead which appears to work ...though it seems to be generating an extra blank page.

I've also looked at HylaFax .. which can be installed as a Vmware appliance. Need to get some information on how to communicate with it directly via sockets as oppposed to using a windows printer driver.

13. Graham

Jason - did you try the snappyfax integration yet?

14. Jason

No. Top of the list though.
  15. Jason

I'll have to find my Rebol program.

Ahhh .. lucky... it's on this drive.

I ran rebcmdview.exe and got this .. should I update ?

Attached Files:

16. Jason

How do I load snappyfax.r ?

17. Graham

Place snappyfax.r in c:\rebol

Download Rebol/core and place it in c:\rebol

Edit snappyfax.r user variable sections

Write a batch file that says
    and place it in c:\rebol

and run it ...
  18. Jason

I have Rebol on a slave drive .. it used to be a Windows 2000 box. Should I install it on my C: drive ? It's an XP machine.

19. Jason

Download Rebol/core <--- how do i do that ?

20. Graham