Fax Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ebaad, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Ebaad

Ebaad New Member

Hi,

I'm evaluating different EMR softwares for one of my client, and I just installed the Synapse Express Build 195

ver .69 which looks pretty decent. ButI just have some questions,

1. Is there a built in fax server that can receive faxes and then they can be filedmanually according to the patient name.

2. How can I install the web based client and what features will be available from the web.

3. Can I buy an enterprise version of the Synapse and how much would it cost(software).

4. Is there a facility to catch patient demographic errors for existing patinets in the database, so that an old patient cannot be entered in the db with new or altered demographics and same for merging two patients and their records if they are same and entered twice by mistake.

I am really starting to like the software but want to get the above information, before making a final decision.

Thanks,

Ebaad.
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

>>>> Q. Is there a built in fax server that can receive faxes and then they can be filedmanually according to the patient name ?

The filing is easy as you can attach the saved fax file (in my case a .pdf file) to the appropriate part of the patient's chart or you could put it in their "PaperPort" folder (which is really just a directory on the server).

For receiving faxes, I use SnappyFax. It works quite well. When a fax is received it does three things: (1) prints it, (2) saves it as a .pdf in a directory of my choice, (3) saves it in Snappy Fax. I usually just deal with the paper thus far as it is easier. I could easily use the saved .pdf files. I also have a backup fax machine (non-computer one) that picks up after7 rings. When the power goes out in my building or the computer freezes, the old fax machine does the job.

For sending faxes, I get my secretary to do it. I can fax from any client on my network, I just print to the "Fax Printer Driver" and the fax goes out. It works fairly well. I just don't like manually finding the pharmacy fax number. (admittedly, it's quite easy, as the address book works well). Most of my faxes are to pharmacies.

I have discovered a method that will allow synapse to fax "with one button press" to the patient's own pharmacy. It will be very easy for Graham to implement. The only thing we need in Synapse to make this happen is to allow a patient to be assigned to a particularpharmacy. I don't think that it will take long to implement this in Synapse. I don't think Graham faxes much, otherwise Synapse would have it already!

Printing things out, Signing them, and giving them to staff to fax with SnappyFax is the fastest thing for me.

Q: Do you have PaperPort ?

Q:Haveyou tried Synapse Local ?

I'll let Graham do the rest.

3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

As Jason says, there is no inbuilt fax server. For me, all my incoming faxes from my fax/printer get sent to a directory on one of my PCs. It gets autonamed by the HP software. From the add results screen, I can add the incoming faxes to the patients.

There is no web based client. The only client is Synapse EMR client. We *may* at some stage build a client as a browser plugin.

We offer licenses for the Premium/Enterprise version at $100 per seat per month where you host yourself. There are volume discounts. Please contact us.

There is no facility yet for merging patients .. but at add time, it checks to see if
    1. if there is another patient with same surname and date of birth
    2. if there is another patient with same SSN

and warns you .. but still allows you to add the patient ( twins in case 1 ) but not the same SSN.

To merge patients, it would just require another function to rename the patient id for all the results and consults ...so fairly trivial to implement, but never seen the need yet.

Hope that helps.
  4. laumansm

laumansm New Member

I wonder: is it possible to have Synapse scan a fax directory for new pdfs and have them show up in the inbox for me to assign to patients or do I manually have to load them into the results section and assign them (after which they show up in my inbox)?

marius
  5. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

There is the autofile utility which scans a directory, ocrs them according to training and rules and then renames them so that Synapse can auto import them to the correct patient.

Requires a high quality scanner with in built de-skewing, and uses a web ocr service which I provide for a charge. Works with high quality faxes as well.

Otherwise you have to manually load them into results.