Fax Inbox Syncing and OCR.

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Currently in testing is a new tool that takes all your faxes from a watch directory and imports them into Synapse's fax inbox.

We have had variations of this before. but this one works for cloud based servers.

At the same time it imports into the fax inbox, it also OCRs the fax. Once it has done that it also then OCRs any files that have not been OCR'd before.

So, we have a couple of users,myself included, who are cloud based, and are syncing our incoming faxes on our local boxes to our cloud based Synapse server's fax inbox.

2. Graham

BTW, you could potentially move all your scanned results into Synapse like this .. but currently the date of the scan/fax is used as the test date. Once you move it into the inbox from the fax inbox, it is quite tedious to change the date.

So I am going to look at allowing you to modify the date of the result before it goes into the Inbox ie. at the point you "Forward Fax".
  3. Graham

Oh .. and if you add the same file twice .. it won't matter because Synapse calcuates the MD5 on the document to decide whether or not to add the file.

if it already exists, then it won't be added again.
  4. Graham

If anyone has a scanner that attaches the OCR text to a PDF, then please send me an example.

It may be easier in those cases, to try and extract the OCR'd text from the PDF rather than submit for OCR again to my web based OCR server.
  5. qilin

qilin Member

emailed you one searchable PDF from Paperport, is this what you want?
  6. Graham

Yes, I was able to extract the text out without using OCR.

7. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

What program is doing the OCRing ?

8. Graham

A commercial OCR web service.
  9. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

The same one as last time ?

What's it called again ?