Family practice requests

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by BrunoH, Dec 2, 2006.

1. BrunoH

BrunoH New Member

Hi!

Shame on me. I'm a newbie, and I'm already asking for new features[:)] .

I'll be starting my family practice residency next month, and I was looking for an EMR program to help me keep track of patients. I've spent the last few hours looking at Synapse and I'm quite impressed (and already thinking how many hours it will save me when I have to write my residency reports). BTW, the training videos are a great idea

I have a few requests,

1) Is it possible to include a family tab that is common to all family members.

2) Can ICPC-2 coding be included alongside with ICD-9 and Read codes?

3) I'm just wandering if there's an easier way of manually entering lab results. From what I could figure out, the only way to enter data implies writing the type, value, units and source for each entry. This seems to be quite a time consuming task. I was wondering if is it possible to add data into a table for common lab investigations? I was thinking something where the columns would be the date when the blood sample was taken, and the rows would be user defined investigations (for instance, Hb,WBC,ESR/CRP, Chol, HDL, TG, glucose, U&E, ALT).

4) Can Synapse be translated to other languages?

Thanks,
    Bruno
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Hi Bruno, I'm in primary care as well. We will have to chat about getting you up to speed. There is alot to learn.

Unfortunately I am on call and have 6 hospital patients in the ER to see.

Here is my 1 second blurb

1) I like.

2) I say no. ICPC sucks ( I used it in residency ) Do you need it for billing ? I think ICPC will map to ICD. Graham could probably do it though.

3) Labs .. hopefully your lab can do HL7 labs, and Synapse can auto import them. I just scan my labs and put them in as scanned pieces of OCR'd info.

4) I'd say very unlikely.

3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

[quote user="BrunoH"]Hi!

Shame on me. I'm a newbie, and I'm already asking for new features[:)] .
    [/quote]

Ask away, but I only implement stuff I feel is reasonable [H]

Where is your residency based? Portugual?

Could be done, but I don't think I can make it a priority unless other users start clamouring for it.

Not unless someone donates me a developers license, and is then prepared to pay the yearly fees. I can add it as a class of coding system though.

Use HL7 import. Manual entry is just for one off results.

Not unless I see a major ROI of my time.
  4. BrunoH

BrunoH New Member

Thank you both for your replies. My residency will be based here at Portugal. That's why I asked if Synapse could be translated[;)] And Jason, any help is most welcomed.

How can I do the HL7 import? Is it following this thread ?

I have just figured out that I can already use ICPC-2 as it is.

Cheers
  5. Graham

Bruno,

For HL7 import, go to the Inbox, select the "HL7 Import" button, pick a HL7 file and then all the files in that directory will be parsed, digital data extracted and imported.

The thread you linked to is about document import ( as images ) whereas HL7 is more like OCR. HL7 formats numerical data in a standard way allowing any program to read it, and import it .. so that results can be graphed, tabulated etc.

6. Graham

Bruno, the new builds currently in beta have your ICPC-2 coding system as a drop down in the dignoses details, and you are right, you can put any code in there you like. It is just that I am not providing automatic lookup tables as I am for ICD-9, and Read Codes. One day I hope to have Snomed-CT.
  7. Graham

I can just imagine it .. translated to Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian and having to answer tech support questions in these languages! [:S]
  8. BrunoH

BrunoH New Member

Thanks Graham. I'll try the HL7 import later today.

[quote user="Graham"]

I can just imagine it .. translated to Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian and having to answer tech support questions in these languages! [:S]

[/quote]

[:)]