Failure Rate among Notebook Computers As High As 25.5%

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Tom Hamilton, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Tom Hamilton

Tom Hamilton New Member

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Anyone considering purchasing a notebook computer might want to check out the latest blog from Christopher Null. It's an eye-opener to say the least. The part we found most interesting was that a 16% failure rate is now considered to be acceptable. All we can say is ouch! The reason for this posting is that we just heard M-Tech is reporting a whopping 1% failure rate. Note that we do not receive financial compensation from M-Tech. We just thought this information might be important to anyone in the market for a new notebook or laptop computer.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><p align="center" class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt; line-height: 150%; text-autospace: ideograph-numeric; text-align: center">KnowBrainer, Inc.Support Staff &ndash; Tom Hamilton
    A Nuance Gold Certified Endorsed Vendor
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I've never had a laptop last more than 1-2 years.

3. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

This certainly makes a case for VM's. It's a lot of work to reinstall all the stuff you need for full Synapse client environment if you are using Paperport, PDF editing software, etc., and make sure it's all playing nicely together. I've been using Sun's Virtual Box. OS and closed, but all free. Has shared folders, which VMware Player does not (or not very easily, at least), network works in bridged mode, and has USB.
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I don't find it a hassle to do a new install of Synapse.

I tend to use PDF editing software on other PCs as sometimes they can interfere with the browser plugin defaults.

And I don't use Paperport.