Exposing the strengths and weaknesses of Synapse: My new Nurse starts Thursday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Just met with my nurses. I have hired two nurses and they are going to job share. They have lots of primary care experience working for another doc in town. Their kids are older and so is their current doctor/employer, so they have decided to work 1/2 time each in each office.

Most doctor's offices already have a nurse, and me and my 1500+ patients certainly could use the help. To top it off, the .gov here is going to pay 1/2 her salary, with the intention that I will take more patients whom do not have a family doctor. I must say, I am very excited to see how it will work out. It will be interesting to see how well they can improve my general efficiency. They are used to working in a doctor's office which doesn't have a secretary, so they are used to "doing it all". Of course, the older doctor is on paper charts (with electronic billing and referral management). They were both excited and worried to see the Synapse today. I showed them Ticklers which they liked and it will be interesting to get their feedback about what might work better/easier.

I look forward to hearing what they need in an EMR to help with patient care.

I will need to audit how I do things, so they can help out.

I will use this thread to record the feedback they give me and how Synapse works from their perspective.

Exciting Stuff.
  2. Jason

Ideas coming to mind already:

Training them to use Synapse.

(1) videos ? (Jing ?) (DVD ?)

(2) Install it on their PC at home ? (With a sample database) (Have a Wireless Laptop beside them at the computer and they watch the video and then attempt to do it themselves ?) (Assuming they have a Wireless Network at home).

(3) Install it on a "Training" PC at the office with a DEMO database ? (Near the Nursing Station/Area). So they can test things without fear of messing it up.

I'll ask them what they want/need.
  3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

They emailed me privately and said they wanted an all expenses paid trip to NZ for personal training!

4. Jason

More Hotel meetings with women ..... Don't you ever get enough ? !

Interesting twist here. 2 people, whom share the same role. If I send a message to the "Monday, Tuesday" Nurse on Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday, she might not get it until the Next Monday !

Maybe they should only have one login ?

Maybe there needs to be a more "Role-based" versus Login-Based communication plan.

Or Certain logins can take on certain "Roles".

Hmmmm.

5. Graham

You know when they work ... so just message the correct person.

6. Jason

What if they don't get something done that is important ? (I messaged them on Tuesday AM, but it didn't get done).

What if they assign a tickler to themself and they are off on a two week vacation. It "comes due" the day after they leave ?

7. Graham

That's the same dilemma that every organization has ... they just have to handover.

You just might want to stick to the topic!!