[esc] key not working on a few new windows

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by Jason, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

[F3] for patient search - press F3, esc key doesnt work.

[F5] diagnoses tab - press F5, esc key works, press F5, add a diagnosis with F2 functionality, esc key doesnt work.

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

ESC will only work if the window, and none of the widgets inside it has focus.

So, in the first example, the focus is on the text field .. ESC now acts as an undo. So, enter, tab, or Alt-F4 will close the window down instead.

In the 2nd example the button has focus, so ESC will not close the window.

Check by clicking on the window outside the widgets and try ESC .. the window now closes.
  3. Jason

Can the [esc] key be made a universal window closer ?
  4. Graham

Take an existing field .... area or just field.

Clear all the contents and type something. Then hit ESC. All the contents will be restored.

Why do you want to lose that functionality?
  5. Jason

I dont want to lose that, although I never knew it existed.

Just give this "Whooops" thing a different shortcut, not the [esc] key. What about Control + z ? (UNDO)

I have no problem learning ALT + F4, when [esc] doesnt work.

However, I think having all windows close with the [esc] key provides a neat consistency that will benefit the newer enduser.
  6. Graham

7. Jason

Ctrl+Z
    Undo (if widget has undo attribute).

Use that one !

The [esc] key works so well (avoids the deadly time consuming .... keyboard to mouse transitioning).

I just really love Synapse's ultra quick - popup, get something done, [esc] method. To lose the [esc] key just because I added a diagnosis seems a big loss.

Q: is it possible if I used the [esc] to Undo All, could the focus switch to somewhere such that a second [esc] pressing will close the window ? I dont mind a [esc] or [esc][esc] thing.

8. Graham

What I have done is:

1. If the ESC is used on an empty field, it will close the window down instead

2. In the Add Diagnoses, Add Sugery - focus will reset to the Add Diagnosis/Surgery button allowing the ESC to close the window down.
  9. Graham

A slight change .. if there is no undo text, and the field is empty, it will only then close the window down.

10. Jason

That will help. Especially in the Add Diagnoses one (I use this alot).

Seems like the [add Tickler] is fine for the [esc] key BUT - it has no [F2] functionality ... mouseless Tickers would be good. [:)]

It would be nice if [esc] worked after adding a medication as well, but I think since you need the mouse to do the M: and R: ... the mouse is in your hand anyway, so clicking [Close] is fine.

Which reminds me ... I gotta get the med favs going.
  11. Graham

It does work with the Manage Medications applet as the cursor is on a blank field.
  12. Jason

Oh. I am one beta behind. [:)]

/downloading...

I love the [Check for new Client functionality] [:)]

13. Jason

Works Great !

14. Graham

Wow .. Jason's first compliment of the year.