Dual Monitors with a laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software Tips and Suggestions' started by Jason, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Might be a dual monitor option for Graham !

Attached Files:

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I tried dual monitors but found it difficult to move the mouse easily between the screens.

3. Jason

Must have been because the monitors are of different resolutions.

Otherwisemoving the mouse between screensis pretty seemless.
  4. Graham

It's the long distance .... and it's confusing.

Maybe I need some mouse/monitor switching software?
  5. Jason

I think I have learned to pick up the mouse off the desk. one swipe to the left moves one monitor width, and pick up track back and another mouse swipe gets me to the end of the second screen. The entire time my wrist has been on the desk. If your mouse was cordless it might be easier.

Uhh .. maybe. An AutoHotKey script could move the mouse to the other screen if you so desired.

I think the key is that you wouldn't use the laptop's keyboard ... you would just use the screen.

You need a full size keyboard and mouse.
  6. qilin

qilin Member

It's not comfortable if the two screens have different resolutions. I had used one 22' and one 19' together for a while, since they have very similar height and vertical resolution, it was OK. But now I use two 22' at home. You can increase the speed of the mouse a little bit to let it travel faster. I like to keep open windows on one side only instead of acrossing two screens to avoid confusion. Once you get used to the set up, you will always prefer dual display, it will significantly increase your efficacy and give you a whole new computing experience. I would guess it will give you more benefits as a programmer.
  7. Jason

Yeah !

A dual screen buddy ! [​IMG]

8. qilin

qilin Member

Jason I like your desktop, as clean as mine [:)]

[​IMG]
  9. laumansm

laumansm New Member

On that note: for my current EHR, I need to use it spread over two screens to have all the information in front of me at once that I need. With Synapse, I have every thing in front of me in a Synapse window that is smaller then my 13" notebook screen. I think that screen real estate is well utilized in Synapse, better than in any other EHR I've seen.

Marius
  10. Jason

This is especially true inside the "Consult" section.

Of course, add on top of that all the information that is available via popups and we are doing well.

And of course, pending Graham's approval, we will have the fastest most flexibile (yet comprehensive) system if we implement: DataViews. (an end user customization engine: whatever view of your data you want, whenever you want it).
  11. Graham

The aim was always to reduce screen flipping while consulting ... to always have everything one needs one click away, or visible on screen, or from a function key/popup.