database transfer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tfinver, Jun 12, 2007.

1. tfinver

tfinver New Member

hi

i started using openemr and have some data in mysql there in linux. i think synapse may be a bit less cumbersome so any idea how to get the data over to it? only text no scans.

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I guess it depends on how much data you have ... but you should be able to use a data pump utility ( lots you can download ) to pull data out of mysql and into the Firebird tables that Synapse uses ...

3. Graham

Oh, and Synapse can import patient demographics when presented as a CSV file, and also as HL7.
  4. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

That'd be tough.

5. Jason

Could there be a chickenscript bridge between the two EMRs to start with ?

:)
  6. Graham

BTW, since you already have a linux server (?), you can install Firebird on your linux box, copy the REMR.FDB that Synapse uses to it, do the data port there. Synapse-server is still only a windows binary so you need a windows box as well. But it could connect to the database on linux box by setting this up in ODBC.

7. vtpaindoc

vtpaindoc New Member

Does anyone out there want to share what utilities may have been successful transferring MySQL to Firebird?

I've found this

http://www.clevercomponents.com/products/datapump/datapumpfaqs.asp

Any thoughts?

8. Graham

I've never used a datapump preferring to write scripts by hand ... but since they're offering a 30 day money back guarantee ...

The thing is, you would have to know the database schema of both Synapse and the other product quite well inorder to transfer the data across, and you have to get the primary keys right.
  9. Jason

I'd try the data pump and if that fails pay Graham to do it.