client crashes and will not restart "Syntax Error: Invalid string -- "

Discussion in 'Bugs & Issues' started by armdpa, Jun 23, 2007.

1. armdpa

armdpa New Member

** Syntax Error: Invalid string -- "
    ** Near: (line 18) ]]"
    ** Press enter to quit...

Front office uses client and gets this error message with any attempt to start the client. They tell me they did nothing unusual? I have tried older versions and even the new 209 and got the same error on front office client computer. Is there anything to try short of doing a clean client install on the front office and upgrade to 209?

The server seems fine as i can access the data from my personal client machine with the new 209 and older clients?

Now question number 2. Is there any easy way to migrate clients to a new computer and not have to setup the "setting" "user configuration" settings manually everytime? is that stored in one file or folder that can be copied over the new installation?

I will get back to you on the get word-retrieve from word as soon as i try it again...

Server ver. 0.78

Client ver. 209

Thanks

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Sounds like it's trying to load a faulty configuration file at startup on the front office PC. So, navigate with windows explorer to that directory where you have Synapse.exe and nuke the contents of the dictionary and language directories. That should fix it.

If it does not, try one of the other PCs and login with the front desk credentials. If it's okay, it must be something else on the front desk.

So, in this instance, remove everything else in the directory where Synapse.exe is ... and then try again.

Pretty much everything is saved on the server. So, if you install to a new computer and use the *same* login, all your settings will be carried across. If you create a new login, then you have to create a new user configuration.
  3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

If he just wants to get the frontdesk working ...

Maybe just make a new Synapse directory (Windows Explorer Folder), Copy synapse.exe to that new directory, and run it. If it was a configuration issue, the new folder should solve that, non ?

4. Graham

Yep, but then he'll lose the short cut to synapse.exe ...
  5. armdpa

armdpa New Member

I would then just redirect the shortcut.

However to update and close, I deleted the four directories WWW-Language-Cache initator and Synapse-emr re-ran synapse209, front office connects again. Thanks.

I figure just an unlucky corrupted file? if there is any log file i should look at or post a snippet to ensure that it not a bug in synapse let me know.

Issue 2: that makes sense. I forgot that it WAS a new user I created and thus had to input all the new settings for that user. So my questions are resolved for now.

Thanks
  6. Graham

Good to see it worked. It would have been interesting to see which file caused the corruption. But better for you to get up again quickly.

7. qilin

qilin Member

This happened to me several times, fix was quick so I never bothered troubleshooting and looking for which file was corrupted.
  8. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Weird ! This seems to have happened again.

I have never seen it before but it seems like it happens rarely, but consistently.

Graham, can the error be trapped so easier instructions can be given to the user on how to fix it ?
  9. Graham

I'll have to look at trapping this.. which I think must be occuring before the main error handler kicks in.
  10. Graham

if you're interested .. any errors that are trapped are also saved in the rebgui.log file .. so if it's getting large, I suggest you delete it so that you can start the log afresh.