Can Synapse handle 100s of users?

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I guess most of you are not thinking of running with 100s of users, and out of the box, Synapse would not cope.

However, because of it's client server architecture, it is relatively easy for the Synapse server to start up new instances of itself on different ports, and then act as a broker sending messages to them to handle requests which are then passed back to the client.

So, theoretically, the only limit would be the number of concurrent connections that can be handled by the server's operating system.

2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I remember asking that question 2 years ago.

While on the topic ... Can I run 2 synapse-server.exe on the same server ... each using it's own REMR.fdb ?
  3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Sure .. I run 3 synapse-servers on my server.

Just make sure all are on different ports and are in different directories. You need to use the command line to set this up.
  4. Jason

Works !

synapse-server.exe -dsn REMRv -port 8012 -user sysdba -pass masterkey

REMRv is the name to the ODBC connection that needs to be setup to the second doctor's REMR.fdb file.

Attached Files:

5. qilin

qilin Member

Cool to know.

So you can run the server for another practice on the same PC.
  6. Jason

For the second server, make in icon on the desktop.

You can change the settings of this second server by right clicking on the icon and changing the settings on the Target line.

Note: the "c:\EMRv\Server\synapse-server.exe -dsn REMRv -port 8012 -user sysdba -pass masterkey" goes on one line, but I made it two so the entire line could be visible for demo purposes.

Attached Files: