Can Run Windows Synapse Client on Linux using Wine, Need help with getting Synapse Server to work wi

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jerry, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

[quote user="Graham"]

There are a number of goals with this.
    • Have a USB drive as a means to run Synapse Client on any PC and not leave any patient traces on the host machine. In this scenario, you run or have access to a remote server, and don't want to carry a laptop around with you
    • Run both the client and server on the USB drive because you don't have internet access. This database is your main database, or, you copy it back at the office to your main PC/server.
    • This is also a great technology demonstration when doing presentations
    • It also allows us to upload a complete working server/client environment for users to evaluate. No licensing issues with Windows.
    • Depending on the host, we may be able to automatically discover and use services like printers etc.
    • This development leads to a robust linux server version for use in an office or remote hosted environment

[/quote]

Jason, all good points. I was just asking the same questions of Graham myself on email. If the goal is just to run the synapse server and client on a Linux Live CD, then the user still will likely need to be reasonably versed in Linux to use the right video driver, connect to various drives and the particular network the host computer is on, understand how Puppy Linux works with memory and their pesonal storage file, and so forth. Using the Linux LIve CD iso as a LIvePC with Moka5 simplifies all that stuff, so the motif is basically plug 'n go. My question was more "Why do we need plug 'n go"? I see that Moka5 reallly does make that more-or-less possible. Now the user doesn't have to install VMware player on the foreign machine, configure it and get it running, etc. User probably just needs to install a print driver and that's about it. I'm not sure, maybe Moka5 can even assess which print driver it needs for a particular machine and install it on Grafpup Linux for the user (doubt it, though). For myself, I would just be happy to run synapse on my own Linux Live CD, as I am quite familiar with how to get those to work on a foreign PC. I'll probably do just that, and run my REMR.FDB from a USB hard drive. I don't leave any traces on the foreign PC, but I do have to be able to set the BIOS to boot from a CD or USB device, and some IT departments will not tolerate that. For me, using a foreign PC is a reality, because I am not based in my own office, and IT will not permit me to hook up my own laptop to the network. I think this would be true for a lot of docs who work in a variety of settings. Maybe they have access to WIFI and maybe not. Maybe they don't want to connect to their own synapse server over the Internet from whatever foreign machine they are on because of security concerns or unknown or unchangable network configurations.
  2. Jerry

I can get PDF printing to work with both the Windows synapse client running under Wine and the the new Linux synapse client on Puppy Linux. Had to change the browser to /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser in the Linux version. I also had to check yes to all 3 boxes on a small dialog box that came up only briefly a couple of times as I was trying to print onthe Linux version. I have to try and replicate the conditions again, but this small dialog box came from the synapse client.
  3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Keep fighting ! [:)]

4. Jerry

I got the new synapse ODBC stuff working on Grafpup yesterday, but it was kluged and I don't like it. I'm going to stick with the Puppy Linux 3.0.1. It's small, has a lot of "swiss army knife" like tools, and has a small footprint. I'll just have to make the Moka5 LivePC myself, as there is not a ready made one for it.
  5. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Jerry, that's just a progress box .... ticking them doesn't do anything. You must have done something else to get it to work.
  6. Graham

The function keys don't seem to be accessible under Linux

So, it appears I have to try and get the Windows version working properly under Wine.
  7. Jerry

On a sort of related vein, I have a question -- how about a catchy title for this new CD we are working on? There are gobs of Puppy Linux variants - Muppy (by Mark Ullrich), Grafpup, Churchpup, Timuxine, Hacao Linux (Vietnamese distro), the list goes on and on. In a similar vein, I thought of naming it after Graham -- Guppy, but that didn't seem quite right ;-)......

How about simply Synthesis? I don't think that one is "claimed" in the Linux world, but don't quote me on it. You never know, it could work into a line of "S"....Synapse, Synthesis......
  8. Graham

Or how about Axon as it helps Synapse to reach out to others ?

9. Jerry

Just did a quick google on Axxonis (a pharmaceutical firm), Axxona (a polish word, not sure of the meaning-only 135 hits), Axonna (a particular females' first name), Aaxxon (a company), Axonis (another company), Axon (4.5 million google hits, several company names, etc), Axxon (several company names, a group dedicated to deviant art), Axonn (more company names), Axxonn (more company names, etc), and finally Axxonna (a polish group, only 1 google hit, yes, one)

So, for "uniqueness" based upon an extensive 10 min google survey, I would pick Axxona, or Axxonna(so far) -- ;))
  10. Graham

11. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I like Zaxxon.

[​IMG]

:)

Project Axxonna: Synapse's Live CD.

I think it's hard for endusers to understand what the CD is .... "Live CD" seems be a common term for this type of setup. Might want to slip those words in there :)

12. Jerry

Wow, that segapic says it all.... :) Good reminder, Isort of flip in and out of using theterm Live CD.Interested users will probably need to read a blurb or go to theMoka5 websiteto understand whata Moka5 LivePC is. I'm sort of loosely referring to the Moka5 engine as the "Virtual Machine Abstraction Layer" after HAL. That would probably be only be understood readily by geeks, though.
  13. Graham

The latest Linux binary seems to do everything except produce PDFs using ghostscript. So, nearly there.

14. Graham

Ok, have determined that the reason ghostscript was seemingly not working on linux was because it was returning a non-zero return code even though it was creating the PDF!

Shouldn't take long to fix this now.

15. Graham

I was using the browse and acrobat plugin to overcome a problem with windows as acrobat locks the file it is reading. But on linux, this makes less sense, and so I think I'll just invoke the default pdf/ps viewer on the file directly.

16. Jerry

Speaking of pdf/ps file viewer, I will see if Evince can be gotten to work on our LiveCD/LivePC, as it works just like Acrobat Reader and can fill out form fields on AcroForms. Graham says it will work as a viewer for TIFF files as well. I got our Wine ODBC/Firebird/synapse stuff to work today on SLAX 5.1.7b LiveCD. There is an existing Moka5 LivePC for this version, so hey folks, I think we're about there. I still would like to make "our own" Linux LiveCD/Moka5 LivePC version and name it Axxon or Axxonna or something as we smooth it out and customize more stuff.
  17. Jerry

We had some problems with gs generating error codes when printing converted raw faxg3 files before -- stuff like "---no string val ---", etc. Tcl has a command called "catch" to snuff inconsequential errors and proceed. I'm assuming REBOL must have a similar function.
  18. Graham

Jerry>> Tcl has a command called "catch" to snuff inconsequential errors and proceed. I'm assuming REBOL must have a similar function.

Nope[:'(]
  19. Graham

If you have a blank preview screen (fax), then see here. ( this works on debian based distros )

If you get a message about missing library, then see here.
  20. Antony Bedggood

Antony Bedggood New Member

Would greatly appreciate any tips on how to set this kind of system up to run off a HDD or USB keydrive, will look into puppy linux live CD. Obviously runs on it's own independent of the OS of the computer you are on?