Blended Rx Faxing from Urgent Care

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jerry, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I have been using a "blended" system for Rx faxing from uc that's working really well for me. Here's how it goes....
    • Have a synapse client on a home server that for faxing is connected on same subnet to a hylafax server with local phone connection, but is connected to synapse server on Amazon cloud.
    • Use another instance of synapse client at uc, connected to synapse cloud server
    • I connect to the home synapse server via TeamViewer RDP only to generate outbound Rx faxes, I do everything else with the local synapse client at uc. The RDP is fast enough as both are broad band.
    • The cool thing is that I can send an Rx fax, then immediately flip back to my local synapse client, hit Print History, and immediately get a hard copy of the Rx to print for UC chart without having to do any copying of files. This is because the PDF of the Rx has been immediately sent to S3 upon generation of the Rx.
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Why can't you fax from a local phone connection at the UC.
  3. Jerry

I could do that too, but I have to deal with a whole IT infrastructure at uc. I have no administrative privileges on any of the uc machines, and IT is fairly paranoid about giving administrative privileges to anyone. I could maybe lobby for setting up my own hylafax server at work, but it would be a political football and I would be immediately blamed if there were any problems with the rest of the network. Alternatively, I can simply print the Rx and have the MA's fax it on the real fax machine. That works, but is kloogier than my blended solution.
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

As I understand it, you do this because IT blocks all the non standard ports.

I wonder if you could just try running the hylafax server on port 80 and see if they still block it?
  5. Jason

I hope you pay less of the MA's salaries as your "FootPrint" on their workload is much lower !

Well, maybe burden the MAs with data entry ?

Q: do your MAs do data entry for you ?
  6. Jerry

No, the MA's don't do any data entry for me at all so far. Using Synapse (or any EMR) has been totally my own initiative. Any doc in a uc or in an ED with an Internet connection could do what I'm doing. I have used Allscripts ePrescribe in the last couple of months, and Synapse is way faster for Rx's IMHO [:D].
  7. Jason

[quote user="jparkdo"]Synapse is way faster for Rx's IMHO [:D].
    [/quote]

Get even faster with shortcuts !
  8. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Which reminds me that I have had another request for a macro/shortcut that generates multiple script items in one go.

Not sure how I can do this yet ...

9. Jason

Synapse users are too demanding.