Beta 189, 190

Discussion in 'New Release and Beta Release Information' started by imported_ste, Sep 27, 2006.

1. imported_ste

imported_ste New Member

When I click search to list out patients it only shows me 21 patients (we have about 100 in the system). Patients that don't show up in the list can still be found if I narrow down the search (by typing in the first or last name).

I had not seen this before 189, but did not have more than 21 patients - so it may not be related to 189/190.

Is this occuring for others?

Thanks,

Scott

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Hi Scott

There is a limit on the number of patients the search mechanism will show for you ...I thought 20 was suitable, and made it that. Did not want to overwhelm the users with too many choices.

However, coincidentally someone else complained about this being too small and so this version http://synapsedirect.com/files/folders/client/entry730.aspx bumps up that limit to 50 now. Yes, it has the same build number 190 as the one you're using .. this is the only difference, and it tells you that it has limited the number to 50.

There has to be a limit ... don't want users bringing down thousands of records ....
  3. Graham

Does anyone want this to be user selectable ? Or a permanent preference setting - don't want to complicate this more by keep adding in more and more preferences ....
  4. Graham

I just read your question more carefully !

Here's the current behaviour
    1. Search on empty search box - only shows the first 50 patients in the system
    2. Search on a single letter eg. A, will show the first 50 patients in the system with Surname starting with A
    3. Search on a more than one letter, eg. Ab will show the first 50 patients matching surname Ab*
    4. Search on two separate letters ... eg. B A will show the first 50 patients with surname starting with A and first name starting with B
    5. If the search only finds one patient, it does not show the result box, but automatically pulls up that patient
    Hope that clarifies show the search works. Maybe point 1 should show you the last 50 patients added ?
  5. imported_ste

imported_ste New Member

[quote user="Graham"]
    I just read your question more carefully !

Here's the current behaviour
    1. Search on empty search box - only shows the first 50 patients in the system
    2. Search on a single letter eg. A, will show the first 50 patients in the system with Surname starting with A
    3. Search on a more than one letter, eg. Ab will show the first 50 patients matching surname Ab*
    4. Search on two separate letters ... eg. B A will show the first 50 patients with surname starting with A and first name starting with B
    5. If the search only finds one patient, it does not show the result box, but automatically pulls up that patient

Hope that clarifies show the search works. Maybe point 1 should show you the last 50 patients added ?
    [/quote]

This definitely helps with knowing how to narrow down the searching. Thanks.

As for the display. Is it possible to have a scrollbar and show all patients or would this get out of hand past a certain limit? I am just thinking of a Practitioner wants to list all patients, then quickly sort by first name or something and scroll through them all. In practice though, they will likely just be typing in a name or the first few letters of the name.

What are your thoughts?

Scott
  6. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Very quickly. I have 1800 patients in Synapse.

I dont see any benefit in being able to sort by first name. The "Patient Search" works so well .. I really hope it won't be changed. If you want a list of all your patients ... for whatever reason .... that might be useful ... maybe Graham could provide that.

Q: What is the reason you want to list all your patients ?

Search is to *MOVE quickly from chart to chart. It's not there to list all patients.

*THE BEST* method of search is the quick search (I have it set to popup with the F3 key). (see the screen shot at the end)

If I want to find a person : John Doe, I type in: j and then a SPACE and then d (i.e. j d) and it will bring up all patients with first name starting with j and also last name starting with d. I usually have a "few hits" and then select the one I need.

Lately I do this. I type in: jo d and I almost always get a unique hit and no dialog box pops up. If you type in the first two letters of the first name then space then the first two letters of the last name ... I think you will almost always get a unique match - How about that for speed !

So I can switch to a new chart with 5 keystrokes.

This method is soooooo good. I want Graham to get rid of the two box search method at the top of synapse and make it a one box search method, like quick search.

If you are wanting to list all your patients because you forgot someone's name .. just ask your secretary the patient's name, they always remember.

Attached Files:

7. Graham

I have 10,000 patients in my system and another group has 60,000 patients in theirs [H]

So, displaying them all is not an option.

Jason you may be unaware in that in asking to lose the two box search option at top - you can search on the first name only there ... mea culpa .. not documented it.

I have also added the option to search on date of birth in the next server version ... yet to be released, and have changed the search on blank first name and surname in the top search boxes to show the latest 50 registered patients. This will be more useful than showing the first few patients in the system.
  8. samlock

samlock New Member

On the topic of Pt Search, here are some other good search keys

Social Security # 9 digits
    Phone #
    Birthdate
    Some Internal Patient Chart ID, always unique.

The internal chart id is necessary so that when information is passed back to a Practice management billing system, there is no ambiguity
  9. Graham

CCHIT mandates multiple search criteria ... so yes, will do those too[:)]
  10. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I am aware of just searching by first name, by just using the First Name box.

I use the quick search and is the best. I hit F3, then first letter of firstname, then space, then the first letter of their last name. BOOM, I am there. Ultra Fast.

I think for newbies the first name and last name boxes will help them out. But Quick Search is where the speed is. Having to hit the Tab Button seems slow :)