Advantages of getting a real Server ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I have been thinking of getting a real server for when my new partner comes .. say June 2008 ? July ?

I want everything to run smoothly when he gets here.

I will be adding clients ... so I want to minimize downtime.

What if I just bought something like this ... for testing purposes ..

Concerns .... would I lose my ability to have a mapped folder on the server ?

As it is now, all my PCs share a directory on my "server" PC, called S: drive (documents) and R: drive - applications (files to install applications).

What advantages would there be ?

Maybe buying a Windows 2003 machine is a better idea.

I guess the advantages and disadvantages would fall into two categories

- synapse related

- other software related.

ideas ?

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Re: Advantages of getting a real Server ...

I personally don't think it's a good idea to buy such old equipment ( the PIII ) for mission critical apps. The drives will be old, and who knows how long the capacitors etc will last. Even if it's for testing , you will still own a piece of ancient equipment that will be hard to dispose of. Most of those servers are quite large as well.

I'd want to run a virtual server so that I can easily restore if the hardware dies and I need to restore my backups to a new architecture. So, I'd go for a grunty PC in the first place.

3. Jason

The PIII was just to play with a real server atmosphere. Migrating to a Virtual Server ... interesting thought.

I did find the virtual server to be stable !

4. qilin

qilin Member

I use a PowerEdge SC440 with windows 2003 server, two 160g HD software RAID. Probably overkill for Synpase, but with peace of mind. How does a virtual server work?
  5. Graham

I'd say that hardware raid is preferable to software raid, so not overkill yet!

On my HP server I have ubuntu linux installed, and then vmware server. This allows me to setup a virtual PC running windows 2003 with the original license on the HP server. To backup the virtual server I can just copy the few files that constitute the virtual server.
  6. qilin

qilin Member

Cool, should try the same some day.
  7. Jason

I need some Server Version of Windows or a SAMBA connection to a NIX box as I am too frequently getting

"Too many connections ... can't connect". Windows XP only allows 10 connections :(

What would Dual GB NIC cards do for me ?

8. Jason

What's a good system to run virtual servers ?

What are the specs of your server ?
  9. Graham

I am using an old box, an HP Vectra with 2Gb of ECC ram, P4 2.4Ghz, and a few SCSI drives.

On this I run Ubuntu desktop, with VMware server installed. And I run a number of different VMs include Windows 2003.

10. Jason

My Windows 2003 Server is running smoothly, but certainly isn't faster than Windows XP for file transfers.
  11. Graham

Is the NIC faster?

Is the processor faster?

have you upgraded your network?