Add Result / Inbox Tweak: review on paper to cut down on INBOX items.

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jason, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

I would like to propose something that will enable me to review things quicker and cut down on my always overflowing INBOX.

My staff and I have determined that many items we [Synapse Import] (which is alot !) import don't need my review, or is quicker for me to review on paper.

Some of my previous requests for the INBOX like: inbox items having a priority, etc never were implemented.

I need less inbox items and more information added to INBOX items.

How about two methods of getting into a patient's Results: To Inbox and To Chart ?
  2. Jason

The new workflow for me would be:

(1) triage all incoming documents, use a yellow highlighter to add some information I want added to the metadata.

I'll draw it up with the players involved.

But this will be a Super Important method of saving time for me.

Attached Files:

3. Jason

Here's the Layout

Attached Files:

4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

There's a considerable amount of code invovled in the Import button ...
  5. Jason

Would it be hard to "Synapse import it" but not go to my inbox ?
  6. Graham

There's a lot of code to review to make sure I don't introduce bugs ...

So, this isn't going to happen soon. Add it to the wish list.

If you look at my twitter blog it's somewhat interesting to see how long it takes to do things. So, adding the Hylafax log took 17 hours or so .... and that was only a page of code.
  7. Jason

I was hoping to rearrange my entire office workflow over this button. I get too much daily stuff to allow my secretary to dump so much into my INBOX. I am going to review things on paper first, get her to send new results I requested to be be sent to me the usual way ... and then send the stuff with "no clinical implications to the patient" to Dr. Already Reviewed.

Sound OK ?

Attached Files:

8. Graham

I think that would work. They end up in the patient's chart, but not reviewed and not in your inbox.

I would make that doc after you alphabetically so that your name comes up first for adding results and assigning PHCP
  9. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]

I think that would work. They end up in the patient's chart, but not reviewed and not in your inbox.

I would make that doc after you alphabetically so that your name comes up first for adding results and assigning PHCP

[/quote]

"but not reviewed"

Is there some reviewed flag ?
  10. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I've been playing with this too. If someone suddenly decides to clear and delete all the INBOX items for Dr. Already Reviewed, will that delete the scans from cache-listener?
  11. Graham

if you delete a result, scan, it is gone forever.
  12. Jason

How does one "clear and delete all the INBOX items" ?
  13. Graham

It would be pretty slow to do that ...
  14. Jason

It would be crazy slow to delete thousands of inbox items via opening it and pressing [Delete]

How about the File in Chart idea ! :) Please Please !

Jerry .. would that help you ?

To speed things up I want to triage my results/consults/all incoming stuff on paper.

Three things will result

(1) item is of little importance, placed in the "Already Reviewed, Just needs to be Scanned and Filed" Area.

(2) item has some importance, I will highlight on the page the words I want in the metadata, and it will be placed in the "Already Reviewed, Just needs to be Scanned and Filed".

(3) I would like to review the item in my INBOX.

(4) I would like to give the item to the nurse for her to deal with.

(5) ....

Even though Synapse's INBOX is efficient I want to save even more time by reviewing easy stuff on paper which is the fastest method.

Attached Files:

15. Jerry

What I was thinking about was not so much that someone would delete thousands of Dr. Already Reviewed INBOX files, but maybe and office newbie might accidentally delete several, or a whole day's worth or something. I guess that's the risk/benefit ratio with an EMR. Just have to make sure office staff understands the work flow and the risks. If unsure, *do Not* delete...ask Dr. M first!! Now that I think about it, Dr. Already Reviewed (DAR) has medical privileges, and staff do not .... can staff signed in as themselves delete DAR's files?
  16. Graham

I think it's impossible for anyone to "accidentally" delete any numbers of files.

In fact there are very few places where you can delete anything. If you delete a result ( not scanned result ), the delete is logged to a file with the deleted result.
  17. Graham

And this is the main reason why I don't allow a patient to be deleted from the system ... as this involves a lot of cascading deletes.

too easy for some rogue staff member to damage the database.
  18. Jason

How would someone "clear and delete all the INBOX items" ?
  19. Jason

I need to reduce my INBOX. My secretary just fills it up too quickly.

Much of my incoming Patient information has little importance. The inbox treats all items with equal importance.

I want my staff and I to triage the paper copies first. I can literally triage a piece of paper every 3 seconds.

This will save me lots of time.

I will know that all items in my INBOX are relatively important.

[​IMG]
  20. Jerry

I agree that I can generally glance at (and triage) many real pieces of paper much more quickly than digital.

I assume that all your faxes are being received as .tif's, or will be when you go to hylafax server. So are you batch printing them out on paper, just to triage?

Graham and I are using a hylafax script (very small) called "FaxDispatch" that is not part of the standard hylafax package. It copies all the incoming faxes from recq to a folder of your choosing. I make it /hylafax/faxout.

The faxes remain in recq, but Graham's faxq script automatically deletes the faxes in /faxout after copying them to cache-listener.

So you could point Paperport at /hylafax/recq and use PP's pageview to view all the incoming faxes. Maybe change the FaxDispatch script to run only after you have had a chance to review all the incoming faxes and chuck the ones you don't want (thus sending the incoming scans to synapse INBOX only after review). You would also see thumbnails of the incoming faxes in either PP desktop or just Windows Explorer with thumbnails tic'ed. Windows tends to browse Linux shares a bit slowly on a LAN, however, in my experience.

Alternatively, you could just use ubuntu/GNOME's nautilus with thumbnails turned on the view the incoming faxes. Ubuntu's evince is very good g3tiff or g3tiff fax viewer. It does fax thumbnails on the left pane just like Acrobat Reader's thumbnails.