Acrobat PDF forms

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

This is just an idea, but it might be possible to add a fax button so that you submit it to the PWP, and the PWP then invokes the Hylafax server on the filled PDF.

2. Graham

3. Graham

The Adobe link requires forms created with LiveCycle, or, for the user to have Acrobat Pro. So, no good.

But I have found a way to dynamically add a signature image to the PDF...

4. Graham

New ... $rx1 .. $rx5 will replace these template variables from the list of drugs prescribed that same day.

So, if you have a discharge form that lists medications given, that will now populate those fields.
  5. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Neat feature.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

A really cool feature of these interactive AcroForms is that any defaults you want checked or default text can be easily saved by Graham's "Edit Acroform" script (in my case I want a bunch of check boxes defaulted to "no"). So you just need to get an AcroForm up and running by adding the hidden "syupdfid" textbox, add the "Submit" button pointed at the correct url on your server, make a basic xfdf form (doesn't have to have all the defaults... can save those later), copy the Acroform to server folder %.../www/pdfs, and submit all the data on the Physician Web Portal "Add Acroform" page. That's about it.
  7. Graham

I guess you could make variations on this .. make a default acroform with all the boxes crossed and one without.

To make things easier I am going to allow you to preview the unfilled PDF as an image ... so we need a decent command line tool to make images of the first page of the PDF.

I found this one http://www.pdftron.com/pdf2image/index.html but it's pretty expensive. Seems to allow unlimited use if you don't mind their advertizing over the image! Anyone know of a cheaper, and/or better one?

8. Graham

Here's a video showing the form preview for Acroforms.
  9. Graham

Here's a script named create-pngs.rsp that can be placed in your www/md directory.

It will download the demo version of pdf2image.exe and create low res PNGs of all your PDFs so that it can be used with the Synapse client.

<html>
    <body>
    <%
    if not exists? %../pdfs/pdf2image.exe [
    write/binary %../pdfs/pdf2image.exe read/binary http://accessories.s3.amazonaws.com/pdf2image.exe
    ]
    if not exists? %../pdfs/pdfnet.res [
    write/binary %../pdfs/pdfnet.res read/binary http://accessories.s3.amazonaws.com/pdfnet.res
    ]

write %convertpdfs.bat copy {cd ..\pdfs\^/pdf2image -a 1 --dpi 50 *.pdf}
    call/wait "convertpdfs.bat"
    print "completed conversions"

%>
    </body>
    </html>
  10. paindoc

paindoc New Member

Will pdf2image by VeryPDF software work?
  11. Graham

I gues if it's a command line application ... then I see no reason why not.

Otherwise, it it's a GUI app, then you'll have to create all the thumbnails one by one ... rather tedious!

12. Graham

This is the command line I am using for the pdf2image that I downloaded ..

pdf2image -a 1 --dpi 50 *.pdf

which says, create a PNG ( default ) of only the first page off all the pdfs in the current directory, and use a DPI of 50. All the filenames are the same as the PDFs except with the extension of .png

13. Jerry

Graham,

Just checking... the list of possible variables I have includes the following now, are there more?

$fname

$surname

$fullname

$age

$dob

$dob-dd, -mm, -yy, -yyyy

$dob-mmm

$gender

$address1, $address2

$city

$zip

$ssn

$homeph, $workph, $cellph

$date

$rx1

$rx2

$rx3

$rx4

$rx5

$soap-s

$soap-o

$soap-a

$soap-p

$occupation

-- added a few more from memory, but check the fetchPDF.rsp to see if there are other patient template variables - Graham$diagnoses (brings up comment box with all diagnoses)
    $myname (doctor name)
    $registration (doctor registration)
    $myname (doctor)
    $line1 (doctor-street1)
    $line2 (doctor-street2)
    $line3 (doc-city)
    $myfax (doc-fax)
    $myphone (doc-ph)

<u>correction </u>- $gender does not work, should be $sex

-- work too - Jerry
  14. Graham

New in beta 13 will be
    • $waist
    • $bmi
    • $bp
    • $systolic
    • $diastolic
    • $weight ( in kgs or lbs - what ever you use )
    • $height ( in cms or inches )
    • $resps
    • $pefr
    • $pulse
    • $o2 ( O2 sats )
    • $tempC ( centigrade )
    • $tempF ( Fahrenheit )

ie. basically stuff from the vitals recording.
    Jason likes this.
  15. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

How about smoking status ?

16. Graham

It's not a vital sign ... and can you think of any forms that need to indicate this?
  17. Jerry

It's not a huge point, but the US HealthWorks ENT template does have a spot for "Tobacco Use?" in the header, along with Allergies and LMP. In Spokane, we would need a text box with more space than allotted if answered accurately because quite a few guys (not a female yet so far that I've seen), mostly farm workers and various laborers use chewing tobacco (YUK!).
  18. Graham

We don't have structured social history. Do people want that?
  19. Jerry

Yikes... like we need things to be more structured...all of the detailed stuff that goes into the latest Social / Family History recently would be waaay too much for urgent care (usually), ... some stuff is pretty standard, like allergies and smoking on many medical forms. Maybe just have synapse users reach a consensus on the most essential items needed from SHx?
  20. Graham

I asked before .. never got a reply.