Handwritten / INK notes as an option for a Visit Note in Synapse

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Jason, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

2. Jason

Well .... here's an interesting twist. Some hacker ported Windows Journal from Vista to plain jane Windows XP !

It works great.

Windows Vista Journal "Ported" To Xp, Another Vista Application for Xp (All)

http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19894&st=0

[​IMG]
  3. alpesh

alpesh New Member

i love one note. i could almost build an emr with just one note alone. only thing missing is scheduling. it could even be used for alerts and templates and amazing things.
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

unfortunately it's a silo .. inaccessible to anything else.

5. Jason

Almost, yes. But in the end ... not enough. I evaluated OneNote extensively. You can't really be chartless with just OneNote ... and that is an important goal. If you keep your paper charts, many of the benefits of EMR aren't realized.

I still use it daily in my office for my nurse and secretary to "Keep me up to date" on how patients are doing (phone calls, the hospital calls, whatever calls). It would quite well. (see below for the top part of today's sample !)

My INK notes in Windows Journal are superior to OneNote for speed and simplicity. OneNote is better in one relatively important regard - it is networkable .. and multiple users *can* use OneNote simultaneously - but you should try to avoid typing on the same page at the same time.

One fairly significant drawback to OneNote is the printing .... pages don't print as you might expect them to print. The Pagination is terrible. I had some concerns about the Time Stamping of notes and if that would hold up in court. My feeling was it was fairly robust. Switching from patient to patient in OneNote is difficult with more than a 100 charts. For my 2000 patients it would be unweildy (slow) to use the OneNote interface. To overcome this I have successfully used a search tool called ESP. I press [F11] type a few letters of the patient's last name .... and my patient's ink chart is right there - one click ... the could be used for OneNote as well.

That being said, Synapse + OneNote could be a very powerful combo. I don't think it would be too hard to "Bridge" Synapse with OneNote as long as you made sure the patient's Synapse name, matched the OneNote name. I certainly could write an AutoHotkey script to bridge them.

Alpesh, let me know if you are considering other methods of documenation (ink in Windows Journal, or ink in OneNote) ... I'd be happy to share my experiences. [:)]

Attached Files:

6. Jason

Using the [Xplr] button with .one files would be a simple way to bridge Synapse and OneNote.

The patient's folder would have just 1 .one file (or more if you like) and you could just click on the .one file which would open in OneNote.

http://www.iheartonenote.com <-- check out this site :) It's for OneNote fans.

Attached Files:

7. alpesh

alpesh New Member

that is awesome how did u do it
  8. Graham

What exactly is the question?
  9. Jason

Do you already have OneNote ?

I can outline many different options for using OneNote to supplement Synapse charting ... but I would have to know your practice situation to provide optimal information.
  10. Jason

Any Windows XP or Vista PC can have a full version of Windows Journal (not just the reader), try my link posted previously from WinMatrix.

Yea. it is.

Well it can load image files (.jpg, .png) that are preloaded onto .jnt files. Or once opened, it is easy to add a .jpg to ink on (that's what I do now).

Why is that a problem ? You'd prefer it to have the date stamped with date last modified ?
  11. Graham

yeah .. I'd like to have the date the last modified for sorting purposes.

12. Graham

With a fast PC you could generate the acroform, flatten it and then convert to JPG and then load it up into Journal.

13. Jason

Date Modified works in Windows Explorer.

Attached Files: