firebird OBDC driver

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by beckstar333, Aug 5, 2008.

1. beckstar333

beckstar333 New Member

Hi,

I am having a hard time getting the server to connect to the database. When I go to the control panel, admin tools, then ODBC, i see the remr listed under system DSN but it is not listed under the drivers tab. According to the instructions, it should be listed there. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times and each time it is never listed under drivers. Am I doing something wrong?

Another question, if server and client are on the same machine (temporary), for synapse-local, do i put localhost:8011, or do i actually put the name of the computer there? i read instructions with both ways so i'm not sure now.

Thanks in advance.

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Hi

Some screenshots would help. But "remr" should only be listed under System DSN.

Use the "Test Connection" button to confirm it is working.

What OS are you running? XP or Vista? There may be some problems with Vista which I can elaborate upon.

Regarding synapse-local, the value should be "true" ... but the latest demo client will always offer you the choice anyway of contacting localhost.

Make sure that you start the server just by double clicking on it, and not the start.cmd file ( if present ) so that it starts on port 8011. Otherwise the start.cmd might put it on a different port.
  3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Did you look at the screenshots here ?
  4. Graham

Good link .. will add that to the FAQ
  5. beckstar333

beckstar333 New Member

[​IMG]i've attached a screenshot

Attached Files:

6. Graham

Is the database actually at c:\emr\remr.fdb or is it perhaps at c:\emr\server\remr.fdb ?

Also, the synapse-user env variable is the first user name you create *once* you get the server working.
  7. Jason

Did you use the Installation package ... or did you do it yourself manually ?

did you use the package here - http://synapsedirect.com/products/downloads.aspx
  8. Jason

I did notice some differences between the automatic installer and manual installation.

remr-synapse (installer), REMR (manual install)
    port 9010 (installer), 8011 (manual install).

9. Jason

I think I installed my remr.fdb to c:\EMR\Server\REMR\REMR.FDB (I think this is for my manual installer package).
  10. Graham

Vista hasn't been validated as a server platform for Synapse and there are some issues relating to the installation of the Firebird RDBMS software. Nevertheless I have it running under Vista Business and I know of others who do so too.

In this situation I would suggest a manual installation.
    1. copy the synapse-server.exe to a safe place
    2. copy the remr.fdb to a safe place
    3. roll back Vista to prior to the installation
    4. copy the saved remr.fdb and synapse-server.exe to c:\emr\server\ ( if you don't save them to another location, the rolll back may delete them )
    5. start synapse-server.exe and follow the wizard to do the installation that way
    6. NB: when installing Firebird, untick the option to install the control applet ... that will corrupt the vista control panel apparently
  11. Jason

The pic looks like XP.

Here is .jpg of this for a manual installation.

Attached Files:

12. Jason

I have finally tweaked my Synpase Server Installation : Package and Manual.zip.

It's taking forever to zip.
  13. Graham

What are you doing??

14. beckstar333

beckstar333 New Member

its in both places, (placed automatically by installer and manually by me). maybe that is the problem. i've tried pointing it in both directions. i didn't realize that it was automatically installed. in the instruction box that pops up when you try to start up the server it says you need to download the REMR.FDB and install it to a directory, thats why i did that.

should i delete the synapse-user variable until i get things going?
  15. Jason

It's nice to have two copies, in case you want to play with Synapse, but later start fresh. Put one in a location where you know it is just a backup.

Not needed.
  16. Jason

If you have more trouble getting the server running (I dont think you will), you can try my new manual installation package. Your plight spurred me on to get it done. [:)]
  17. Graham

It really sounds as though Firebird and/or ODBC is not working.

You got the prompt from Synapse because it couldn't find an ODBC connection and so assumed you were doing a manual/wizard install.

Check in your windows control panel to make sure the Firebird service is running in services. This is a more detailed manual on testing the firebird installation.

If it is, then firebird is working but ODBC is not. At this point I suggest you roll back using system restore and do a manual install of everything. I don't know why but sometimes the ODBC driver has a problem getting installed correctly.
  18. beckstar333

beckstar333 New Member

[quote user="Graham"]
    It really sounds as though Firebird and/or ODBC is not working.

You got the prompt from Synapse because it couldn't find an ODBC connection and so assumed you were doing a manual/wizard install.

Check in your windows control panel to make sure the Firebird service is running in services. This is a more detailed manual on testing the firebird installation.

If it is, then firebird is working but ODBC is not. At this point I suggest you roll back using system restore and do a manual install of everything. I don't know why but sometimes the ODBC driver has a problem getting installed correctly.

[/quote]

ok thanks, i'll try what you've suggested and see what happens.

i might just have to buck up and pay for installation.
  19. Graham

Supporting the author of Synapse financially in this way isn't a bad option!
  20. beckstar333

beckstar333 New Member

Hi
    I wanted to let you know that i was able to get it installed with the manual install! thanks a lot!

now i just have to figure out how to do everything inside! :) appreciate all of the help.