Client too old message...

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by Anthony, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Anthony

Anthony New Member

I was running client 202 on several machines when suddenly they all gave the error that the client was too old. It was obvious this was date-based, as I had changed nothing about the server, and rolling back the system date on Windows caused the error to go away.

This is particularly difficult to deal with as I do not have direct control over one of the client machines that is used for scheduling appointments. How can I know what date this will happen for a particular client, and how can I prevent it from happening in the future?

Anthony

2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Hi Anthony

My fault here. I had not expected it to be 3 months since I updated the client. Each client is set to expire 3 months from the date of build. This is because way back I started getting bug reports from users that had ancient unfixed versions out there, and this is to force them to upgrade to fixed versions.

I'll try and push out a formal 203 release today, or, you can get the betas from http://202.78.147.203:8010/Beta_Downloads

3. Graham

New client 203 now posted at http://synapsedirect.com/files/5/default.aspx?Sort=Date

Anthony, it would be helpful to us if you describe how you are using Synapse so we can plan features that best suit our users - many of whom remain unknown to us.

Thanks,
  4. Anthony

Anthony New Member

We have a client installed offsite that is used solely for scheduling. We do not have direct control of this computer, and forcing an update to the client every 3 months seems a bit arbitrary. Is there a way to disable this time limit?
  5. Graham

Not at present, but hopefully final updates will come out more frequently than 3 monthly from now.

6. Anthony

Anthony New Member

So then are client upgrades to be required at least every 3 months?

While I respect the pain caused by dealing with users running ancient clients, we are trying to deploy this in a clinic that requires a client on a hospital computer for scheduling. Requiring hospital IT to upgrade the client on that machine every 3 months regardless of our actual need for an upgrade is painful. Do you have any ideas for a workaround that would eliminate/minimize this need to involve the hospital IT staff?
  7. Graham

Anthony,

These upgrades were offered freqently before .. and it's just a click on a button on the upgrade screen to update the client. No need for IT staff to be involved. Maybe you did not see these before.

And the need for upgrades is real ... because of new functionality, bug fixes, and server upgrades.

And I'm sure some users ignored the upgrade messages as our logs showed users logging into our demo server using old clients.

I can't see a way round this without lumping us with support issues for users on ancient clients.

Perhaps you could instruct the users on how to upgrade when the message appears??

8. Graham

The only other possibility I see is that I ask users to register so that they can be notified of new upgrades and bug fixes etc.

And for those users put in some type of flag that never checks for updates, and never expires the client.

But I don't think this is a good option for us long term in terms of support issues.

9. armdpa

armdpa New Member

I guess I should start of with Kudos for a remarkable software package.

I am the rehab physician in the US that came in one morning and noticed that I did not have easy(aside from a flatfile export of the database) access to my patient records. My practice is new and small so it wasnt a big deal but going forward the thought that for any number of reasons, ( i lose internet connection for months-the practice is in rural america, Graham moves onto to bigger and better things in his life, ....) synapse development stops or is not updated, then every physician using Synapse would be left without easy access to their patient records in 3 months because their client "expired and is too old". At some interval there should be non-expiring client that one could revert to in a crunch, otherwise the thought of being locked out from your data is likely a deal breaker for anyone that evaluates this EMR.

I understand the issue with supporting older clients/servers with fixes in the updated versions and I would support a policy that requests any software support require the latest server/client combination. Perhaps each post should start with Client ver XXX, Server ver. XXX, and your bot can autorespond to update to latest ver ZZZ for the latest bugfixes or prior to posting

However, having a non-expiring client version would offer some safety net for the physician to get to the data.

issue #2

"it's just a click on a button on the upgrade screen to update the client "

Anthony is working with me to implement your product. The upgrade is easy in my office where i have full access to the C:\ drives. However, I also use the client on the hospital computers where there are plenty of security measures in place that do not allow write access to any drives thus I had to obtain special permission and have the IT dept install the client on 2 particular machines. The easy upgrades are now not so easy because IT administrative priveleges would be needed to download the new client and rename the file synapse.exe. Thus every 3 months i will now need to call IT out to my department and have them login and go through the 1-click upgrade process. A non expiring client would also remedy that problem at some static point in time. Rather than have you set the timeframe of making me call IT every 3 months, it would be better to allow me to decide at what point i cant live the existing bugs and call IT to install the updated client version.

I hope I don't sound too demanding because I realize, "hey its free", and nobody is forcing me to use your product. I just want to make sure I understand the limitations to the tools that i am using so that I can make the best decisions regarding the use of the tools

Thanks for hearing me out. I look forward to anyones thoughts.

10. Graham

The next update, and looks like I'll be pushing one out soon, downloads and is renamed to synapse.exe ... so should not need the intervention of your hospital IT department. Afterall, how do they deal with antivirus products continually updating themselves?

And you must have write rights already as Synapse is constantly dropping files into it's local cache.

As for being locked out of your data forever, this is just a date check. Change the date, run Synapse-ancient-client.exe, and then revert the date. No major problems.

11. Graham

Just wondering if you have thought about running the client on a thumbdrive once it has been installed traditionally. Synapse doesn't make use of the registry so can be run from any directory.

The installation is primarily to install accessory programs such as ghostscript etc.
  12. Graham

Let us know if you are able to successfully autoupdate the client from 204 to 205 - which was released today, in your restricted computing environment.

13. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Lately I have been manually renaming the synapse.exe and then renaming the synapse204.exe to synapse.exe. I suspect the reason why the renaming method of the .exe files fails is because synapse.exe is still running as a webserver.
  14. Graham

Shouldn't because it explicitly shuts the webserver down before doing the renaming.

But it requires that the running program be called synapse.exe

15. armdpa

armdpa New Member

updating was successful. Thanks. The usb key idea is interesting although the problem previously identified of incorrect mapping of folders would need further evaluation in my setting.

On a separate note is there a field for "copay" or is it relegated to the "miscellaneous" tab-field 1-4?

-A

16. Graham

What incorrect mapping of folder??

What exactly is a co-pay ?
  17. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

It's an American patient user fee. It's like $30 that patients have to pay themselves when they see their doctor.
  18. Graham

So, why exactly is a field for that required?

Is this to designate which person is to pay the co-pay?

19. armdpa

armdpa New Member

The front office should collect that amount from the patient at that visit. Depending on the insurance carrier each patient would owe a different amount. The office staff checking-in or out the patient would need to look that up that value somewhere and "attempt" to collect that amount.
  20. armdpa

armdpa New Member

"
    If you run it from a USB drive, then all the paths will be incorrect .. for postscript, etc.

But you will be able to see your patient data, just may not be able to easily print."

<hr align="left" size="1" width="25%" />Graham Chiu
    Beta Downloads"

I appreciate people taking the time to help... and thus search in order not to ask questions that have already been answered.thus i was referring to your post quoted above. Unfortunately, i do have to generate physical printouts for charts in particular formats so a roving synapse client may work in the hospital... but i still need to give though to whether i would need immediate printing availability at the "wokstation of the moment"- the answer is likely yes.