Default Server URL

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by cableops, Nov 15, 2006.

1. cableops

cableops New Member

Anyone know how I can change the default Server URL when starting Synapse Client.

It is defaulting to www.synapsedirect.com:8011 everytime.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

see here http://synapsedirect.com/photos/snapshots/picture410.aspx
  3. cableops

cableops New Member

Can't find where to get to this option. Is the option only available during the initial install?

4. samlock

samlock New Member

Here's documentaition that we've done

<p class="MsoNormal">Customizing Server Connection:<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left: 0.75in; text-indent: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .75in">1. Start up the Windows Control Panel (Classic View)<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left: 0.75in; text-indent: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .75in">2. Double click on System <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left: 0.75in; text-indent: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .75in">3. Select the Advanced tab <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left: 0.75in; text-indent: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .75in">4. Click on the "Environment Variables" button <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left: 0.75in; text-indent: -0.25in; tab-stops: list .75in">5. You now need to create two new user variables. The server IP address here is the server for Synapse, not necessarily the Linux server where CyberMed runs.<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left: 1.25in; text-indent: -0.25in; tab-stops: list 1.25in">a. "synapse-port" with the value <server ip address> eg 192.168.100.64:9010 <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin-left: 1.25in; text-indent: -0.25in; tab-stops: list 1.25in">b. "synapse-user" with value <user id> eg robert
  5. DrO

DrO New Member

I suggest a system variable if you are the only user.

You should name your server, so that you can reach it without having to know it's ip address. It will simplify connecting to the server from an offsite location via a virtual network ( check Hamachi.com). Ex. for server name ZXCV reached via synapse-port ZXCV:8011

I can only connect to my server via the 8011 port. For some reason 9010 is not being acknowledge.

DrO
  6. Graham

It depends on how the server is setup.

When the server starts up, the server control panel advises which port it is listening on. In the screen grab below, we see it is listening on port 8011.

[​IMG]
  7. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

It was a bad idea to have Nick's install program default to 9010. using port 8011 has always been the plan.

We should decide on a port and stick to it.

I just discovered this inconsistency before I left for Arizona.
  8. qilin

qilin Member

Synapse is the first Windows program I've ever used that requires users to set "Environment Variables" for default settings. I don't think this is convenient for users.

Suggestion: Change [Server] button on login window to [options] or [settings] and expand the login window or use a popup window to let users put in the default server address, default user ID and default GUI size. Let the program write to "Environment Variables", or to an .ini text file saved in the same folder as synapse.exe, or to registry. One less thing for the users to figure out. Most users are certainly not familiar with changing system variables and maybe scared to do so.
  9. Jason

It is a wee bit of inconvenience. Not sure what is the best thing to do.

I tell you what though. One day my Server Power Supply went and my synapse-server.exe was down. I had a backup of the firebird database on another computer. Backs up every 30min during the day. I had configured another client before to be a server, so I just moved the firebird database in place, changed the port and BOOM, back in business. Downtime was 15 minutes (most figuring out why the computer crashed).

:)
  10. qilin

qilin Member

That's exactly what I plan to do. I am running the synapse-server on a workstation now. I should receive the Dell server today will migrate the synapse-server to Dell server. I will be doing the same backup (maybe every hour rather than every 30 min) from the Dell server to the workstation. If the Dell server is down (I ordered two HDs for software RAID), all I need to do is to change's workstation's IP to the server's and don't need to change anything else.
  11. Graham

If users are afraid to change the "user environment" variables .. then I suggest they get some training or counselling!

It was done this way to be the same across Linux, and Windows.

Not sure why, but the Synapse client lacks sufficient privileges to change the environment user variables so it has to be done by hand.

12. Graham

BTW, it's user variables and not system variables so that if different users log in, they retain their own settings.

13. qilin

qilin Member

Is it possible to have Synapse read a config.ini or synapse.cfg file for the environmental settings? This way, you can run the program from a USB flash drive. Would it be nice if you can plug a USB drive to any PC in the hospital, run Synapse client and access your office database?
    Even in the office, it's rarely necessary for receptionists touse different accounts to log in a certain computer.
  14. Graham

I got complaints about Synapse dropping config files everywhere so I put them into the environment.

What I can do is check the environment, and if there is nothing there, to look for a config file...

15. Graham

If you run it from a USB drive, then all the paths will be incorrect .. for postscript, etc.

But you will be able to see your patient data, just may not be able to easily print.

16. Graham

Remember, you can run it from a usb drive without setting the environment settings, you just have to type in the address of the server.

17. Jason

I like the config file better. Editing the Environment variable seems more work than help.
  18. Graham

It was intended that way .. so once you had it working, no one would stuff up the config files and increase the support issues.

19. Jason

FYI<h2><a name="env"></a>Environment Variables vs. "Normal" Variables</h2>

Environment variables are maintained by the operating system. You can see a
    list of them at the command prompt by typing SET then pressing Enter.