Backing up Synapse EMR express (aka the Local Installation version)

Discussion in 'Documentation & Training Resources' started by Jason, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

<h4 class="BlogPostHeader">Local backup of your database<input id="ctl00___ctl00___ctl00_ctl00_bcr_ctl00___Entry___Ratings_Value" type="hidden" value="0" /></h4>

We recently came across a neat and free backup scheduler that works for Firebird database tables.

FIBS
    allows you to schedule backups on the hour or minute, and also allows
    the backup to be compressed with gzip compression. FIBS uses gbak, the
    utility included with Firebird so that you know that your data is
    safe. Copying and compressing database files with non specific
    database utilities while the Firebird server is live is a definite no
    no as it can cause database corruption.

FIBS can also send
    backups to a ftp server, but since ftp is not secure, this would not be
    recommended. Reports of backup failures are optionally emailed to you.

Compression
    reduces the space of your data by 80% so makes it easier to take your
    data offsite. HIPAA regulations state that your data should be backed
    up and taken offsite daily.

How do these settings look Graham ?

Attached Files:

2. Jason

Screen Just before Backup.

Attached Files:

3. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Looks okay to me .. just not sure about the garbage collection.

Do you really want to keep 99 backups!
  4. qilin

qilin Member

The cache-listener folderis not included in this backup, what tool do you use to back up the cache-listener folder??
  5. Graham

the firebird table is a special file so needs special tools to backup.

The cache-listener files are just data files .. you can use anything including copy to back them up.

6. qilin

qilin Member

I know that. I mean, what do you actually use? You would want the same backup schedule as the main database, I suppose.
  7. Graham

I use cwrsync, and no, different schedule.

8. Jason

[quote user="Graham"]

I use cwrsync, http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&amp;PAGE_user_op=view_page&amp;PAGE_id=6&amp;MMN_position=23:23

[/quote]

I use a few methods.

(1) Nightly 3am backups with Acronis True Image of the entire "server" computer (with the patient files).

(2) Once weekly copying of the directory to a D: drive (manually).

(3) Once weekly copying of the directory to aExternal harddrive (manually).

Plans: Acronis True Image Directory Mirroring. (not implemented).

I would note that Foldershare would do an excellent job of this type of backing up.

9. qilin

qilin Member

Problem:

The server need to be shut down for you to do copying of the entire folder, otherwise you have risk of corrupting the database. The dictation files (maybe some other files too?)were saved in the same folder as the database file. This prevents backup copying the folder when the server is running.

Suggest: use a separate folder for all temporary files other than the database file so automatic backup is possible for both cache-listener folder and all the other files using a different application (my choice now is Secondcopy). And use FIBs for database file backup.
  10. Graham

You should move the database file out of the listener folder so that you can use any tool to back up that directory. But ensure that database backups go to the listener directory.

Just use the ODBC control panel to relink the database file location.

11. qilin

qilin Member

the database file is not in the listener folder, but the dictation files are saved automatically by Synapse together with the database file in the same folder
  12. Graham

I'm not sure what you are saying.

Anything in the listener folder is safe to copy ... except the active remr.fdb file .. that should not be in that directory.

13. qilin

qilin Member

the dictation voice file I attached to a consult appears in the same folder as REMR.FDB but not in the cache-listener folder
  14. Graham

If that is the case, then it's a bug.

Can you reproduce this ?

Is your remr.fdb in the same directory as synapse-server.exe ??
  15. qilin

qilin Member

yes, they are in the same folder. i'll try separating them.
  16. qilin

qilin Member

Everything is working fine now, dictations now are saved in "cache-listener" folder. I moved REMR.FDB to a separate folder.

So, REMR.FDB and "cache-listener" folder are all that need to be backed up, right?
  17. Graham

That's correct.

18. Jason

That's all I backup.
  19. laumansm

laumansm New Member

Another option:

Use Cobian Backup, which is free. Do a nightly scheduled backup of both the cache-listener directory as well as the database file. Prior to that happening, have Cobian automatically pause or stop synapse-server and automatically restart it after execution of the backup. Have Cobian automatically upload the compressed files to your ftp server via SSH. Still, you would have to check your backup files once in a while to make sure that they actually work.

Marius
  20. Jason