UpToDate: our Primary Care Group is thinking of getting it - i'm not sure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Hey Graham, what are your thoughts on UpToDate.com ?
    Seems expensive, but we have some money to spend.
    I've had DVD access to it for a long time ... but seldom use it. I'm usually looking for quicker information (Thanks Google) or more comprehensive information on a very specific topic. I'm going to try to go to UpToDate for my next few Info gathering sessions to try it on again.

For primary care, it seems to have limitations :
    - Not problem-based in it's content. ie. There are lots of chapters on Cancer, but none on Fatigue NYD.
    - American-based information.
    - I find the drug information a bit superficial and impractical. It's no rxfiles.ca :)

Strengths:
    - Good references. If I want references for certain "medical facts". ie. if I was doing a talk on a certain topic.

Ever use it ?
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I have institutional access and I might use it once every few weeks for some odd things I come across.
    But lots of the same data is on Medscape, but needs more work to access it there.
  3. Jason

I keep having to remind UpToDate to give me access.
    I have apparently had it for a few weeks (read: I am paying for it), but I get prompted for the login.
    They have my ip address .. supposedly.
    I guess I'll fire off another email.

All this ... and I already have it on DVD. Maybe I should have just stuck with that ?

Medscape is looking better as the weeks go by .....
  4. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

that's bad that Uptodate needs reminding ...
  5. Jason

It did get resolved.
    For a while I was wondering if my router was lying to me about my IP !

I like the online access better as it is quicker / more convenient for me. A little bit.
    The cost is silly high. It seems like it is geared towards institutions that want to buy it to encourage their workers to be ... well ... Up To Date (on medical knowledge).
  6. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I use UpToDate a fair bit. In addition to fairly quick access to a lot of info I need/use, the CME recording/tracking makes my life a lot easier. I haven't found anything slicker. I agree that the Lexicomp drug info is kind of anemic, but there are so many other rapid sources for that.