Syncing of shared files

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by Graham, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I think I need to decide on how to sync shared files.
    For instance I need to have PDF forms available on all of my instances so that if I update one, they update on all my PCs.
    There are also config files etc.

Perhaps I need to create a directory tree where things are to be kept.

Some files are shared by everyone, some are only shared by my instances.

Can use MS onedrive which gives free 15Gb of storage to everyone whereas in Dropbox I only have 6Gb free. but Dropbox has 30 day versioning of files. But there is no current working client for Linux for OneDrive.

Suggestions on directory structure?
  2. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Maybe the .pdfs can be stored on the server in a \forms directory ?
    and download to clients into a \forms directory when new/changed server .pdfs are detected ?
    New/changed .pdfs can be uploaded to the server.

Dropbox or OneDrive or any online storage service seems like alot of overhead for a smaller defined task.
    Dropbox has unlimited versioning feature (paid) https://www.dropbox.com/help/113/en
  3. Graham

I don't need unlimited versioning .. though it would be useful for software development.
    OneDrive allows you to share folders with a number of people so that makes it good for shared Acrobat forms.
  4. Graham

My first attempt at this is to decide to keep the PDF Forms in their own directory. So, this will need a change to the client I guess.

So, c:\users\Graham\OneDrive\pdf-forms\

is where I will keep the forms which will replicate across all my instances

and in the directory where I run Synapse eg. c:\users\Graham\Synapse

I can link using an Admin shell

mkhlink /D c:\users\Graham\Synapse\pdfs c:\users\Graham\OneDrive\pdf-forms\

so it will look like my PDF forms are being stored in the directory below Synapse, but will actually link to the OneDrive folder
  5. Graham

A gotcha with OneDrive .. I synced all my pdfs across but then couldn't find them on the Surface Pro. I could see them in the windows explorer but not in dos. Then I was able to see them using dir /ah .. they all had the hidden attribute set!

Seems MS don't sync the files, just the filenames ... until you need them. If you need them all the time, then you need to set that folder to make the folder available offline. Select the folder and use the context menu at the bottom of the screen.

I am going to make pdfs in the ./pdfs folder ... and will hard code into the Synapse client pro tem.
  6. Graham

Just a thought .. if I can get Gb storage in the cloud, then I can start storing patient x-rays there. OneDrive has this setting which allows you to leave files in the cloud, and not sync locally. Going to try it.
  7. Graham

Which reminds me .. if you want to copy all of a patient's scanned results, you do it by opening the Xplr button, and then select the files you want to batch copy.

I am going to use

Onedrive:\\patients ( or c:\users\Graham\OneDrive\patients\

to hold my patient data now. It shouldn't take up space on my drive if I set it up correctly.