FileCenter ... a PaperPort Killer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

Very impressed with the Speed and Viewing Capabilities of this App.

It's peppy, is a great "overlay" to a Windows Explorer File System. Has a great file viewer, especially: .pdf .doc .xls .jpg .tif .htm .rtf.

Where has this gem been for the past few years.

I am going to contact the company.

Attached Files:

2. Jason

qilin,

I have not completed my "investigation" of FileCenter but I'll inform you about it anyway. I have long wanted to find a "PaperPort"-like system that is peppy over a network and peppy moving in and out of subfolders. PaperPort is not. (Although Synapse's COM method of getting directly to the right patient is quite helpful).

I was quite impressed with the speed of navigation of FileCenter.

I am hoping one day to replace Synapse's PaperPort button with another button, hopefully maybe FileCenter !

My trial demo has expired but I am going to contact the company about an extension when I have time to continue my investigation.

I feel that FileCenter might make your "paper chart migration" smoother, depending on what your goals are.

Check out, http://www.lucion.com/filecenterpro-overview.html

3. Jason

For the record, I can't say FileCenter is a PaperPort killer yet, I definitely don't know how well it scans documents vs. PaperPort.

I can say though, where has FileCenter been all my life ... how did I miss this one ?

Other things to investigate:

1) is there a way to bring up a patient's chart from Synapse (like our PaperPort button [PPort] ) ?

4. Jason

5. DrO

DrO New Member

Can the PPort button be changed into a user modified button? That way we can select other programs to import scans into Synapse.

DrO
  6. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Not probable.. the PPort button doesn't just invoke Paperport, but loads a com object and sends commands to it to drive Paperport.

7. Jason

What program are you thinking of ?

If you like a program I can look into wether or not it is "integratable". Document Management is so difficult I constantly review other options.
  8. qilin

qilin Member

I know there are many options there for LOCAL document management.

What I am hoping is a sophisticated document management ability IN THE EMR. A way to orgainize the documents ON THE SERVER and indexed by the database. Say I need to access an old patient's chart from another office. I can access all the scans - might not have exam dates or metadata during the digitizing process - REMOTELY, and also organize REMOTELY if necessary.
  9. Jason

There are options that meet these needs ranging from a few thousand a year to 20,000. I haven't found a standout. I'd be more than happy forking out some good bucks for a reliable flexible long term doc man solution. Currently I use LogMeIn and PaperPort/WIndows explorer for remote access to patient files not in synapse. I also have a backup on a USB hard drive that I take home.
  10. Jason

qilin: What are some of your impressions about FileCenter ?
  11. qilin

qilin Member

So far I like FileCenter very much. We have stopped using Paperport. I told my staff, unless necessary, we are going to stop uploading documents to EHR. My staff certainly appreciate the time saved from the switch and they all like this program. I'm yet to find a better solution to access the files remotely though, other than remote desk top or Logmein. That's why I'm hoping something like Dropbox or Skydrive can be HIPAA compliant someday. I use Crashplan to backup to my home file server instead of using a Flash drive.
  12. Graham

Doesn't dropbox encrypt files automatically .. so why isn't it HIPAA compliant?
  13. Jason

It doesn't have access logs.
    ie. which login looked at what, etc.
  14. qilin

qilin Member

15. Graham

So, the issue is only if you use filenames that expose patient details. So, don't!
    Synapse will rename files to use their md5 as their filename to prevent disclosing details like this.
  16. qilin

qilin Member

Synapse only added patient's ID number to file names when uploaded under result tab. So a lot of my files in "cache-listener" folder still has patient's names. Is there an option to rename all files that I missed?
  17. Graham

Yes, there is an option available in that all the files are from memory in the files table.
    So, one could programmatically go through the file names and rename those where the filename did not match their md5 signature.

loop [
    is filename = md5 signature?
    if not [ rename file to md5, and rename the entry to the md5 ]
    next file
    ]
  18. Graham

Just realised that if you have backed up files to S3, you'll have to locate them there and rename them as well.