Backup to S3

Discussion in 'Backup & Disaster Recovery' started by Graham, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

I believe it's a HIPAA requirement that you have an offsite backup - so one less thing to worry about.

2. qilin

qilin Member

About 1200 files completed last night, it looks like the whole back up will need one week.
  3. Graham

Mine took 3 days for the first pass. Thereafter it happens in real time.

And there is no CPU loading.
  4. qilin

qilin Member

I am experiing significant delay when downloading a scan now, sometimes up to 10--20 sec.

Edit: Nevermind, it's just on one computer, guess it might have something to do with my upgrading to internet explorer 8.
  5. Graham

I have pretty much removed IE8 on every machine that it got installed on.

6. qilin

qilin Member

I installed IE8 for several PCs in the office over the weekend, two PCs used today had the same symptoms, unstalled one and switched the other one to Firefox, problem disappeared for both. IE8 on my home vista x64 PC does not have the problem.

The reason I use x64 is to take advantage of 8Gb RAM.

Now 7110/14942 files left, seems like the backup will finish earlier than I thought. Graham should I wait for the back up to complete before trying FaxImport?
  7. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

8 Gb ! I've never used a PC with more than 4 Gigs and it's actually 3 Gigs, because that is all 32bit XP can handle.

Must be good for dictation !
  8. qilin

qilin Member

With 8 Gb RAM, I can run two or more Virtual PC at the same time. For example, I was testing upgrading my PMS database to SQL server. I installed the server on one VPC and installed the client on the other VPC to test all the set ups. Assigned 1Gb for each VPC. This is like I have a network on one single PC, and each runs smoothly at the same time without any hiccups. Plus, I don't have to worry about messing up anything since I can just delete the VPC hard drive file once I've done all the testing and start fresh again for the next project.
  9. Graham

>Graham should I wait for the back up to complete before trying FaxImport?<h2 class="editable" style="background-repeat: no-repeat; background-image: url('http://www.compkarori.co.nz:8090/skins/common/icons/editor-h1.gif'); font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; margin-bottom: 4px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: #000000; text-decoration: none; font-size: 16pt; background-position: 100% 0%">No need to wait .. these things can run in parallel.</h2>

<ul style="margin-top: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0px; list-style-type: disc">[/list]<h2 class="editable" style="background-repeat: no-repeat; background-image: url('http://www.compkarori.co.nz:8090/skins/common/icons/editor-h1.gif'); font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; margin-bottom: 4px; padding-bottom: 0px; color: #000000; text-decoration: none; font-size: 16pt; background-position: 100% 0%"></h2>
  10. Graham

So Qilin .. how did it work?

I suspect that if you ran it, it's still trying to OCR all 14k documents!
  11. Jason

Very Cool. I am going to experiment with VPCs as soon as time permits. Instead of having 3 PCs (Fax Server, Synapse Server, Asterisk PBX server) I could just have one ! Not sure SnappyFax would work in VPC.
  12. qilin

qilin Member

Haven't got the time to run it yet, will do it today or this weekend. Only 3462 files left to backup.

Jason, what I did with my server is I have a Dell server running Synapse server and my PMS server under two different accounts. I am not sure if it's a good idea to run actual server on VPC. I only use VPC for non-critical things, mostly testing.
  13. Graham

I run everything as virtual PCs.

14. qilin

qilin Member

Hard drive of my office PC failed on me today, ruined my day. Nothing got done, and I had to get a new drive, reinstall windows and everything[:mad:]
  15. Graham

I suggest you download this free drive imaging utility

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

and image each drive in your practice so that you can readily restore from these type of events.

Hard drives fail at the rate of 4-15% per annum It doesn't take much math to figure out how long before you have another such event.
  16. Jason

"my office PC"

ie. Your Server ? Your client PC ?

I find Hard Drives are increasingly unreliable.

Especially Hard Drives used via USB. I have two Corrupt Hard Drives I need to attempt to "revive".

With Synapse, it is easy to come up with a Disaster Plan. I have two identical Servers. The spare server sits beside the real server. To enable it, I just transfer the mouse,keyboard, monitor, power, ethernet, USB stuff to it and boot it up. It has the same IP as other server, so the clients find it easy.

Downtime like what you had is totally frustrating. Once you are over the pain, firm up the disaster planning to avoid future headaches. I am scheduling a review myself right now !
  17. qilin

qilin Member

It's the PC I have on my desk, I had Synapse server back up to this PC, so if the server is down, I will just launch the Synapse server and change the IP of this one. I didn't think it's a big deal to reinstall a PC since I've done it numerous times. Now I have to try Graham's recommendation to make the recovery faster and less painful.
  18. Jason

Graham ... what do you suggest for this guy ? It's for backing up Xenforo to Amazon.
  19. Graham

what I do is run a script to
    1. backup the Firebird database
    2. compress and encrypt
    3. upload to S3 under today's date
    I would think it's easy enough for someone to write if they know Pphp.
  20. qilin

qilin Member

Just checked my Synapse Backup S3 status, it's showing 7861 files needing backup to S3, last database backup was run in Apr 2009. I haven't checked this in a while and assumed it's been working, apparently not. Need some instructions for trouble shooting.

Now I started to use Filecenter and am wondering if there is HIPPA complaint cloud service that support synchronization like Dropbox or MS Skydrive, so I can back up and better yet save another copy at my home PC so I can access the same way as in the office.