PDFpensuite

Discussion in 'Feature: Requests and Planning' started by Graham, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

Pdfpensuite is an interesting bundle of Ritepen and Foxit Phantom. However there are a number of issues that prevent this from being a great product.

1. Foxit does not support XFDF format so forms can not be prepopulated

2. When you submit a form using Foxit, it does not show the result but says "OK". This differs from Acrobat Reader and CutePDF Pro

3. You can't actually mark up with Ritepen ... as soon as you switch back to pen mode, the markup disappears. You have to snapshot in the markup mode .. so really you need Foxit to do the markup.

Any ideas on how to overcome these limitations?

2. Graham

You can use Ritepen with Acrobat Reader but you still can't markup the PDF.

The handwriting recognition is interesting but a little slow on my Turion tablet.

Maybe it needs a fast dual core 2 duo, or a quad core laptop to be fast enough to be used in the context of a patient encounter.
  3. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

That's a dealbreaker.

If I needed to markup a .pdf I would use the physician portal to make the form and open it in PDF Annotator.
  4. Graham

I guess Foxit at this time just don't see the need to add this facility.

Pity ... as they are clearly capable of implementing this.

5. Jason

What ?

Obviously not even interested in the Medical Market then.

With all the forms needed to be filled out .... prepopulating with even just patients demographics is very important.

/odd
  6. Graham

7. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

ritePen is a layer that inserts it's recognized text into the "application" layer of an acroform, word processor, etc. It's markup mode apparently can't be saved as a graphics file and stamped onto a PDF.

Foxit does do stamps and digital signatures, but that's not the same as inking anywhere on the PDF. In my tests so far, it flattens the PDF to save inking, and inflates the file size dramatically.

Foxit does export data to FDF format, but not XFDF, so apparently they're working on it, as it previously did neither.
  8. Jason

Graham / Jerry : are you still filling out alot of Forms with Synapse ?
  9. Jerry

Jerry Administrator Staff Member

I've had to take a break from acroforms for the last few months. I have the clinical ones we're required to use working pretty well, but at urgent care the whole process of using them is still too slow compared to paper (I don't get any help from uc staff). I was just getting drug under the bus for several months, going home really late, etc, so I finally (temporarily?) gave up using acroforms for routine exam documentation. I would like to revisit using them, but just too many other things on my plate right now.
    Jason likes this.
  10. Graham

Yes I do use them for government forms .... but govt keeps changing them which is a real pain
  11. Graham

Essentially, if the acroform prepopulates most of the form and you only have a few things to tick, then they're worthwhile.
    Doing complete examinations using them is too slow due to limitations with acrobat at present. Maybe feasible with large touch screens ...
    Jason likes this.