Synapse Client + Vista = error SndRec32.exe

Discussion in 'Setup & Installation' started by drtofu, Sep 12, 2009.

1. drtofu

drtofu New Member

Hi,

I'm new to Synapse. I've tried to install the Synapse Client on Vista and when it runs, it's giving an error message "Windows cannot find 'sndrec32.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

So what I tried to do was copy the "sndrec32.exe" from an XP pc and place it into C:\Windows\System32\. But itgives a blank error message. When I try to run sndrec32.exe, it gives me an error message "There was an error updating the registry". And all the buttons (forward, rewind, play, record...) are grayed out.

Anybody knows how to fix this?

And if I do fix this problem, is this wise? Since there might be other compatibility problem with Vista.

Or should I stick with XP?

Thanks

-KC
  2. Graham

Graham Developer Staff Member

copy sndrec32.exe into the same directory as synapse.exe

then run it once as administrator so it will set the registry

no other Vista issues that I know of.
  3. drtofu

drtofu New Member

Here's an update the sndrec32.exe problem. Ran it as Administrator and it fixed the registry problem. The file has to be place into c:\windows\system32\

When synapse runs it gives another error "Cannot open c:\windows\speech.wav"

I will try to copy the speech.wav to this directory also.

I will you updated

Thanks

-KC
  4. drtofu

drtofu New Member

I've copied the speech.wav file into c:\windows and it fixed the problem.

Thanks Dr Chiu for your help

-KC
  5. Graham

Hmm. That's odd. The speech.wav file is just generated by Synapse to speak the day out.So, it changes every day.

I''m pretty sure that if you have

c:\emr\synapse.exe

then

c:\emr\sndrec32.exe

is how it should be.

6. Jason

Jason Developer / Handyman Staff Member

While talking about SndRec32.exe, how can I stop the date from being spoken ? I don't like having to explain to patients why the computer is shouting !

I see no value in the date being read aloud. Can it be turned off ? Qilin wants it off as well.

Make it an option ?

7. qilin

qilin Member

I turn all the windows sound off and turn the speaker volume very low to keep the office quiet. The only exception is my EMG machine since I need the sound for EMG signal. Now I have to warn the patient first before I open Synapse since this is really loud.
  8. Jason

I use the sound to hear my secretary message me from the front desk.

So I can't do without sound.
  9. Graham

Easy .. just rename another application that doesn't do much to sndrec32.exe

However I do have future plans for sound ...

10. qilin

qilin Member

That worked, thanks
  11. Jason

Huh ?

When I rename sndrec32.exe in C:\windows\system32 .. it just recreates itself 4 seconds later.
  12. qilin

qilin Member

Pick an .exe file, rename it to sndrec32.exe and put it in the same folder as synapse.exe. I used twunk_32.exe in windows directory.
  13. Jason

That worked. Thanks. :)